Can I do a 50% water change with TTM?

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm due to do my 2nd transfer later today. Yesterday I did a 50% water change because there was about .5ppm ammonia. My fishes haven't been eating so I took a risk and threw a few different food in the 10G QT. Since Prime doesn't do what we were led to believe it does, I decided to do a 50% water change. Did I screw up my TTM?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you say prime doesn't do what it is supposed to do? It makes ammonia non toxic for 48 hours. Sam with amguard, amlock, etc.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Why would you say prime doesn't do what it is supposed to do? It makes ammonia non toxic for 48 hours. Sam with amguard, amlock, etc.
There is a thread on here where someone actually tested whether prime decreases the toxic ammonia level. The answer was no.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a thread on here where someone actually tested whether prime decreases the toxic ammonia level. The answer was no.
Either way you didn't screw it up. The fundamentals of ttm is out running the tomant life cycle. I'd recommend you do some more reading to get a solid understanding of how it works.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It doesn't decrease the ammonia level. It only makes it non toxic for 48 hours. I don't know anyone who was saying it actually removes ammonia permanently because even seachem doesn't say that.

Regardless, you could always get some ammonia removing media like zeolite or an ammonia pad and toss it in a hob filter.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It doesn't decrease the ammonia level. It only makes it non toxic for 48 hours. I don't know anyone who was saying it actually removes ammonia permanently because even seachem doesn't say that.

Regardless, you could always get some ammonia removing media like zeolite or an ammonia pad and toss it in a hob filter.
I will have to find that thread. I am not wording it right but it doesn't make the water non-toxic.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For ttm? Not likely. I mean you could, but it wouldn't make sense

What I meant was if its something that needs to be done rapidly as an alternative to the obvious move into other tank or water change. .5 is enough to cause organ damage.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Here's that thread. Basically Prime is useless for what everyone has been using it for.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't mess up anything with TTM as long as you don't cross contaminate stuff you plan to use on the next transfer.

If ammonia is an issue, you can do transfers more frequently as long as everything is dry and sterile for next transfer.

OP
OP
QuinnLee512

QuinnLee512

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It doesn't mess up anything with TTM as long as you don't cross contaminate stuff you plan to use on the next transfer.

If ammonia is an issue, you can do transfers more frequently as long as everything is dry and sterile for next transfer.
Thanks for confirming. I clean everything with vinegar. I throw out the airstone. I let it dry out until the next transfer.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back