Can I dose Valium for my Yellow Tang?

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a yellow tang in 30 gal QT and he’s doing fine. Healthy, eating well, getting fat. The problem is his reflection. He sees it on the ends of the tank and even on the bottom. He swims 100mph non stop, taking the same route over and over because he thinks there’s another tang in there with him. I tried hanging towels on the ends to block out his reflection, but that didn’t work. I’m exhausted just watching him. Reefing is supposed to be peaceful, calming, stress reducing. This is everything but that. Any suggestions?

saltwaterjunkie12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tape some colored construction paper to the sides (black if you have it). It needs to actually contact the glass to make a difference to the fish.

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tape some colored construction paper to the sides (black if you have it). It needs to actually contact the glass to make a difference to the fish.
OK, think the contact with the glass is key. I think I have some black construction paper so will give it a try. Thanks.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Turn the light down.
This is what came to mind for me too. If he's in QT, you only need to turn on the light during observation. You could leave the light off when you're not around and that should take care of the reflection.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is ambient light from windows. It actually is worse as it causes more of a mirror effect. I’ve tried the construction paper. We’ll see how it goes.
Makes sense. Best of luck. Hopefully he calms down for you

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So construction paper seems to have helped. He’s much more chill. Still is peacocking on the front glass but at least he’s not pulling a Mario Andretti around the tank. A peaceful calm has settled over the tank and me. :). Thanks.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 83 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back