Can I eliminate my canister filter …

TN_Huskymama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I eliminate my canister filter if I have a hang on refugium and a protein skimmer?
50 gallon tank. 6 months old.

Last edited:

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could if you wanted, any particular reason why?

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a pain cleaning out the filter every 5 days to be honest. I dont have the right setup for a sump system yet.

Have you tough in running only biological media in it? Having a canister is also an advantage if you need to run carbon or gfo. If I had to use one I’d just remove all the sponges and fill it with siporax or similar media, would work just as efficient as a sump.

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have some sort of filter. 1 hang on back ,or 2 canister ,or something in a sump .
Just to remove ditritis from the water . And it helps keep the aquarium clear to .

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can I eliminate my canister filter if I have a hang on refugium and a protein skimmer?
50 gallon tank. 6 months old.

If you are already cleaning out your canister filter every 5 days then it sounds like you are primarily using the canister as a mechanical filter and not as a biological filter. Presumably you have live rock that is handling much of the biological load. One alternative for your canister is to buy pillow stuffing from a local craft store to use as the media in your canister and then just replace the media when you clean the filter once a week.

Chuckh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a canister just for gfo or carbon. No filters so just change the gfo when needed. Works great on my 110 reef.

OP
OP
TN_Huskymama

TN_Huskymama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are already cleaning out your canister filter every 5 days then it sounds like you are primarily using the canister as a mechanical filter and not as a biological filter. Presumably you have live rock that is handling much of the biological load. One alternative for your canister is to buy pillow stuffing from a local craft store to use as the media in your canister and then just replace the media when you clean the filter once a week.
I have biocubes in it along with carbon and bio floss.
I also have live sand and live rock in my tank.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have biocubes in it along with carbon and bio floss.
I also have live sand and live rock in my tank.

Depending on how much live rock that you have in your tank you may be able to do without the biocubes in the canister filter. The carbon is a part of the chemical filtration process and can be helpful (at least occasionally) and the biofloss is a good mechanical filtration solution (but can be expensive if you replace it every week). As I mentioned earlier a bag of polyfill is very inexpensive and some people used it in place of the biofloss and then also add the carbon as needed.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back