Can I fill my new tank with hose water just to test for leaks??

FreshSaltyGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just finished all the plumbing on my new 40 gal reef tank. I wanted to test and make sure there are no leaks and since I'm not ready because I'm still searching for rock, etc.. I wanted to run a test with just water from the hose and then drain it out when done testing. Once all my stuff get's here I'll fill with RO/DI water.

Is this NOT ok even though I have a whole house filter but not RO/DI ? I think it's NOT ok because there could still be lots of contaminants in the water that will stick onto glass, in pipes etc..

Any ideas ? Thanks!

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just finished all the plumbing on my new 40 gal reef tank. I wanted to test and make sure there are no leaks and since I'm not ready because I'm still searching for rock, etc.. I wanted to run a test with just water from the hose and then drain it out when done testing. Once all my stuff get's here I'll fill with RO/DI water.

Is this NOT ok even though I have a whole house filter but not RO/DI ? I think it's NOT ok because there could still be lots of contaminants in the water that will stick onto glass, in pipes etc..

Any ideas ? Thanks!
Yes Ive done it on every tank Ive ever set up

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back