Can I finally get some some fish for my QT?

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my QT tank (20 gallon) finished cycling about a week ago and I had my LFS order in a Starry Blenny 2 weeks ago but it looks like it still won’t be in for another 2 weeks. Can I get a Orchid Dottyback as my first fish before the Starry Blenny? They’ll both be in the QT at the same time eventually would I have issues with aggression or anything?
I know good happens slow in saltwater but I’ve already waited a month and a half and I swear I can’t wait any longer for a fish.
My parameters are:

ph: 8.3
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
Alkalinity: 8

I have sailfert phosphate, calcium, and magnesium test kits too but I don’t think those numbers are too important yet.
My display tank is a Biocube 32 that is still cycling.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orchids are known to be pretty aggressive fish and highly territorial. In a small bio cube, it may become a terror with other docile fish, such as a starry blenny.

They are a stunning fish best suited for much larger aquariums.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hold on as well. Be patient and stick with your original plan. Read up and stock up on QT meds as well as lots of different foods. Make sure you have a plan of QT if its TTM or copper or observation, etc. You can ghost feed the QT in the mean time. Patience is always good in this hobby. Its best also to add the QT fish at the same time as well so the time in the box is all the same. I have gotten myself into trouble in the past when I deviate from the original plan.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would hold on as well. Be patient and stick with your original plan. Read up and stock up on QT meds as well as lots of different foods. Make sure you have a plan of QT if its TTM or copper or observation, etc. You can ghost feed the QT in the mean time. Patience is always good in this hobby. Its best also to add the QT fish at the same time as well so the time in the box is all the same. I have gotten myself into trouble in the past when I deviate from the original plan.
Ok so if I get all my fish for the QT at once wouldn’t that overload the bacteria or should I just do it in different intervals? Like get the Starry Blenny and something else, QT them then put them in DT then get a pair of clownfish for the QT?

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also what are the best meds to have on hand for QT? I’m planning on doing observation then copper if necessary but what other meds do you think are absolutely necessary to have on hand?

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re correct to be concerned about bio load. If you start ghost feeding now the amount of food it will be to keep your new arrivals happy then that will allow the bacteria population to grow and be ready when the time comes. I like to feed new arrivals a lot so I’m not worried about their nutritional needs, so I make sure I have bio media ready to go to handle the load.

I would have at least copper power (in case of velvet or ich) along with a Hanna copper checker and general cure for flukes and brook/Uronema ready to go. For dosing, make sure you do plenty of reading on R2R so you have a game plan

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back