View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I have 1 Fluval Evo 13.5 gal tank with corals and-
2 Ocellaris clownfish
1 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp
1 yellow clown goby

Now I want to add either a neon dottyback or a candy basslet. Would my tank be overstocked after adding one of these 2 fishes?
Out of the 2, which one would you recommend? Should I give up any of fish and add either of these two? Does a candy basslet or yellow clown goby have more personality? Please help.
Thanks.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. I have 1 Fluval Evo 13.5 gal tank with corals and-
2 Ocellaris clownfish
1 scarlet skunk cleaner shrimp
1 yellow clown goby

Now I want to add either a neon dottyback or a candy basslet. Would my tank be overstocked after adding one of these 2 fishes?
Probably not... I wouldn't consider it "overstocked" with 4 smaller fish and a shrimp
Out of the 2, which one would you recommend?
I'm partial to dottybacks, but either is a very pretty fish... However, my dottybacks both like really really narrow places (I use CaribSea Moani and ancient coral pieces for my rockwork which have networks of tunnels in them). So your scape may actually dictate which is a better fit, research their habitat and see if you can make it work with your setup.
Should I give up any of fish and add either of these two?
I don't think you need to remove a fish, if you want to get rid of one that's up to you.
Does a candy basslet or yellow clown goby have more personality? Please help.
Thanks.
Just like dogs, cats, and other animals, a fishes personality is unique to the fish and not really the species, although the species definitely have traits that you can maybe call personality. Dottybacks are sassy IMO, both of mine like to chase others away from their rocks, people think it's aggressive, mine are great tankmates, they don't bite/nip they just chase some others away (Cardinals and Chromis mostly) away, and it's fun to watch. But one of them is far more elusive than the other. One will come out anytime I'm in the room and follow me as I clean the exterior glass of the tank, the other stays underneath an overhang and just kind of keeps watch over everything.

I have no experience with a Candy or a Yellow Clown Goby though, so no direct opinion there.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some great insight above ... ^^

You already have 2 'now or later' aggressive fish with the clowns. My 1 experience with an ocellaris clown was 1 year of peace, and 6 months of hell before removing it. Having 2 will only create a larger territory for them to protect.
I have no experience with a candy basslet, but will say a neon dottyback will find it's territory fast in a small tank of your size and wreak havoc on the territorial balance. If not now, in the future you will have constant battles for territory between the dotty and the clowns, or quickly someone will kill someone else.

Your tank is too small to experiment with territorial situations and you will quickly lose fish if you mix aggressive ones.

Since the candy is such an expensive fish, I'd consider removing both the clowns, or not add the candy.

And I'd not add the dotty with the clowns either.

Last edited:

Trouble1375

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Striped Dottyback, Strawberry Pseudochromis and Royal Gramma. The Strawberry came home because it was like a puppy dog in the tank at the store, she follows me around and, despite being the smallest fish in the tank, holds her ground when it comes to her napping spot including chasing the 6-line Wrasse across the tank when he encroaches. The Striped Dottyback and Royal Gramma were both purchases by my 15 year old son. The Royal Gramma has more than tripled in size in the year that we have had her. She stands her ground by her cave but is very peaceful otherwise. The Striped Dottyback is very eel like in behavior, hides in the rocks, sticks his head out to eat but otherwise very elusive. These are all in a 125 gallon DT with lots of other fish.

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually think you're borderline to add a new fish. You have 3 fish, and 2 of them are technically oversized for the tank (though lots of people put clowns in smaller tanks than recommended, myself included). I have a 10g with a single clown and a hi fin goby and people told me that 2 fish was too much. If you do decide to add another fish, have you considered something like a small shrimp goby with a pistol shrimp? They don't get aggressive, and my clown completely ignores my goby.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back