Can I freeze KZ “Coral Snow” and “Flatworm Stop”

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have a question or two as per title regarding Korallen Zucht Coral Snow and Flatworm Stop.

1- can I freeze?
2- chemically, what is in each?

I currently have Coral Snow in my home made frozen food. I just poured about 200 ml in my last batch without any scientific basis for doing so. I have seen no negative effect at all. The food does cloud the tank as it would if you just pour coral snow on its own.

I will need to make a new food batch in 2 weeks and was wondering whether anyone has done this for the two products mentioned.

thanks.
Dx
Thanks

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have a question or two as per title regarding Korallen Zucht Coral Snow and Flatworm Stop.

1- can I freeze?
2- chemically, what is in each?

I currently have Coral Snow in my home made frozen food. I just poured about 200 ml in my last batch without any scientific basis for doing so. I have seen no negative effect at all. The food does cloud the tank as it would if you just pour coral snow on its own.

I will need to make a new food batch in 2 weeks and was wondering whether anyone has done this for the two products mentioned.

thanks.
Dx
Thanks
Coral snow is not marine snow if that’s what you’re using it for. It’s a water clarifier and I wouldn’t freeze it/add to food. Chemically I’m not sure exactly what it is.

JSchwarz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kz Coral snow is basically chalk. Some people make DIY versions with calcium carbonate powder. I doubt it would hurt to freeze it but I don't see a reason to as it is a water clarifier and not a food.

OP
OP
DxMarinefish

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your replies guys.

My reasoning is if I can add to my food mix and freeze, then I am adding it everyday as part of my feeding and thus achieving the same as though I am adding it manually.

I don’t see it as food and so I am not using it as food.

it’s another lazy butt way of reefing.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure exactly what effect you are hoping for from Korallen Zucht Coral Snow (some of the claims seem unlikely to me), but if you are hoping for an organic binding effect (like the reduced yellowing that they claim), then I I would not mix Korallen Zucht Coral Snow with foods. It is an organic binder for that functionality, and may get mostly depleted by soaking in high organic settings like foods. Freezing should not hurt it.

I am not sure what Flatworm stop is, so I cannot say much about freezing.

Marc Pardon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure exactly what effect you are hoping for from Korallen Zucht Coral Snow (some of the claims seem unlikely to me), but if you are hoping for an organic binding effect (like the reduced yellowing that they claim), then I I would not mix Korallen Zucht Coral Snow with foods. It is an organic binder for that functionality, and may get mostly depleted by soaking in high organic settings like foods. Freezing should not hurt it.

I am not sure what Flatworm stop is, so I cannot say much about freezing.
Randy : it looks like all the answers are in your article : https://reefs.com/magazine/chemistry-and-the-aquarium-calcium-carbonate-as-a-supplement/

I have dosed KZ coral snow plus once a few days ago and it caused a ph drop which is still going on to this day. Will this recover ?

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy : it looks like all the answers are in your article : https://reefs.com/magazine/chemistry-and-the-aquarium-calcium-carbonate-as-a-supplement/

I have dosed KZ coral snow plus once a few days ago and it caused a ph drop which is still going on to this day. Will this recover ?

Has the alkalinity declined? (be sure to not have particles of the coral snow in the alk test, or it will read false high as the calcium carbonate dissolves in the acid of the test).

Marc Pardon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the alkalinity declined? (be sure to not have particles of the coral snow in the alk test, or it will read false high as the calcium carbonate dissolves in the acid of the test).
No, I still measure the same alkalinity. Normally I have a ph of 8,3 (dastaco + kalkwasser + co2 scrubber). Now I have a maximum of 8,1 for two days. Isn't that strange?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I still measure the same alkalinity. Normally I have a ph of 8,3 (dastaco + kalkwasser + co2 scrubber). Now I have a maximum of 8,1 for two days. Isn't that strange?

I wouldn't expect an ongoing pH drop with alkalinity stable. Might be coincidence.

Marc Pardon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry I made a measuring mistake ..... my Kh did decline .... from 8,15 -> 7,85 dKh .... so I "lost" some carbonates with the dosing of coral snow plus ....apparently I also lost some magnesium. Calcium is still the same.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DxMarinefish

DxMarinefish

GazuntaiReef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also experienced low ph (8.0 - 8.1) and never related it to coral snow but the drop to moving over to Triton CORE 7.
dkh dropped to 7.8 from 8.6 range.
When I was not on Triton, and using Coral Snow as I do now, my ph was 8.25 - 8.3 and dkh 8.6 range

My ph is now 8.15 after adding additional alkalinity to raise it to 8.3 now.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry I made a measuring mistake ..... my Kh did decline .... from 8,15 -> 7,85 dKh .... so I "lost" some carbonates with the dosing of coral snow plus ....apparently I also lost some magnesium. Calcium is still the same.

That's not unexpected, though the actual magnesium decline is likely very low (a few ppm or less) and undetectable with a kit. A measured decline is probably test error.

Marc Pardon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not unexpected, though the actual magnesium decline is likely very low (a few ppm or less) and undetectable with a kit. A measured decline is probably test error.
your right .... it's always hard to read this test :) ..... For clear water I think I will stay with GAC ....

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 44 51.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 19 22.4%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.6%
Back