Can I get your opinion on a sump design

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I am going to upgrade my sump and will build myself, I have a CNC machine, tools and plenty of acrylic. I don’t have a great deal of room so will be trying to pack a few things in. I will also build a roll to roll filter that will go in the left compartment and the panel joining the filter and skimmer compartments will have bypass holes I just couldn’t be bothered to draw them all.
Display tank is 55g

anyway I would really appreciate your feedback

81FAFDE7-16AE-4372-BB4B-E72A30DEB2F9.jpeg
C8543D7C-9390-40AC-A012-B69CBCBB55AC.jpeg

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only issue with the design is the bypass holes between the first chamber and the skimmer chamber. I have done this in the past and regret it deeply. It's extra maintenance that doesn't need to be there. Those hole become clogged and need routine cleaning. May I suggest a complete 2 inch separation in the bottom 1/3 of the panel? That way you can still achieve your goals without the unnecessary maintenance.

Good planning otherwise, everything else should work great.

OP
OP
Dan7575

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only issue with the design is the bypass holes between the first chamber and the skimmer chamber. I have done this in the past and regret it deeply. It's extra maintenance that doesn't need to be there. Those hole become clogged and need routine cleaning. May I suggest a complete 2 inch separation in the bottom 1/3 of the panel? That way you can still achieve your goals without the unnecessary maintenance.

Yes I did think that the holes could become an issue and would work just as well having a gap at the bottom of the divider.

i was worried that I may not have enough baffles and whether to add a third?

do you think the skimmer fuge part is big enough on the first design or should I go with the second with the ato chamber along the front?

OP
OP
Dan7575

Dan7575

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes I did think that the holes could become an issue and would work just as well having a gap at the bottom of the divider.

do you think the skimmer fuge part is big enough on the first design or should I go with the second with the ato chamber along the front?

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well what's the gallon/liter difference between the two designs?

The largest refugium you can accommodate is usually best.

Also, consider the footprint of your skimmer choice. The second drawing with the ATO in the front looks like it will allow for a larger skimmer. Though if your skimmer choice will fit in the first drawing, your refuge section will likely have more gallons/liters than the second.

There is a lot to consider, just remember, largest refugium possible after skimmer and return pump foot print

Back