Can I glue new rocks to existing rocks?

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm planning to get a custom built Zoa Garden rock from a coral vendor. They're mixing and matching the zoas for me and glueing them all to a single flat rock. I may use it to create a new cave in my 4 year old mixed reef. To someday have the rock be covered in zoas and may be spread to a couple other rocks.

I have a Dragon Wrasse that will move any rock that weighs up to 3 lbs. I do not exaggerate here. He's crazy mean with rocks. Attacking them at times like they're prey and throwing them around in the water. I've intentionally left some coral skeletons, smaller rocks in the sand purposely for him to play with. Once in a while I'm mean and take his little collection and move them around the tank and rebury them in the sand... This does not make him happy!

Back to my question.. Can I use the super glue gel, epoxy putty sandwich method to glue a new rock to existing rocks? It works well for frag plugs, but will it withstand the force of a fish yanking on the rock to pull it off? He was able to remove a frag from its frag plug glued in this way. .

Any other suggestions for making sure the new Zoa rock doesn't get attacked and flipped over and destroy the pretty new zoas?

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the epoxy would be your best bet. A fish shouldn't be able to jar that loose. If he does manage to knock it down I would contact the NFL and ask them to give him a contract :)

Frostblitz20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but if the spot your going to stick them together at is covered in algea please clean before.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I'm planning to get a custom built Zoa Garden rock from a coral vendor. They're mixing and matching the zoas for me and glueing them all to a single flat rock. I may use it to create a new cave in my 4 year old mixed reef. To someday have the rock be covered in zoas and may be spread to a couple other rocks.

I have a Dragon Wrasse that will move any rock that weighs up to 3 lbs. I do not exaggerate here. He's crazy mean with rocks. Attacking them at times like they're prey and throwing them around in the water. I've intentionally left some coral skeletons, smaller rocks in the sand purposely for him to play with. Once in a while I'm mean and take his little collection and move them around the tank and rebury them in the sand... This does not make him happy!

Back to my question.. Can I use the super glue gel, epoxy putty sandwich method to glue a new rock to existing rocks? It works well for frag plugs, but will it withstand the force of a fish yanking on the rock to pull it off? He was able to remove a frag from its frag plug glued in this way. .

Any other suggestions for making sure the new Zoa rock doesn't get attacked and flipped over and destroy the pretty new zoas?
yeah, dragon wrasse are known to do that (Hence the name rockmover wrasse) and I think the glue can stand the rockmover’s powerful grasp

OP
OP
Treefer32

Treefer32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've often thought it'd be much easier to glue the dragon wrasse down... :) He's going on 3 years old in my tank. He was just a tiny little guy that blew in the water current. everyone laughed at him, because he had a tough time swimming in the current of my tank. He'd swim to a spot and let himself be blown across the tank. Now he's grown from 1-2" in length to almost 8 inches in length. He has tossed rocks at my glass before. It's 3/4" glass, so I'm not too afraid, but could earn his keep by being a receiver for the NFL. I'd totally support that. Maybe a kicker. He couldn't be much worse than what the vikings have..

That said, yes, cleaning the rock will be essential. I just wondered if there's established layers of coraline and other films on the rock will it still adhere. I don't know that I can get to the bare rock with 4 years of established layers on the rocks.

I know for sure, I can glue my fingers together, whether or not the rocks stick to each other is the question. :)

beehive124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if the coraline died underneath the glue, it would create a solid calcified layer that would be like a rock. I could be wrong, but that's my take.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back