Can I Have 2 gobies in a 20 gallon tank?

Hugo Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, how is it going? I’m here to ask if it’s ok to have 2 gobies in a 20 gallon tank. On my tank I have 2 very small Clown fish, 6 hermit crabs and a Organge Spot Prasn Goby. I would like to know if it is ok to add a Yellow Watchman goby to the tank? Would they be ok together?

Thanks

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say no in this case, the yellow watchman ideally needs more space and might get territorial in a small 20g and fight with your orange spot prawn goby.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a yellow coral goby instead?

Here's my little fellow.

2nk80o8.jpg

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170805_192423.jpg

I have a couple these. They're like little puppy dogs that follow you around the tank wagging their tails hopping from rock to rock. They park themselves in odd positions and don't occupy the bottom of the tank like a lot of sand dwelling gobies.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I have found that watchman gobies are pretty tolerant of each other. They will each gravitate to opposite sides of the rockwork.

ATLD99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170805_192423.jpg

I have a couple these. They're like little puppy dogs that follow you around the tank wagging their tails hopping from rock to rock. They park themselves in odd positions and don't occupy the bottom of the tank like a lot of sand dwelling gobies.

What kind of clown goby is this?

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try it but monitor them. If the Yellow Watchman is the last added to the tank then that's more ideal. If you're going to add a YWG then you should also consider a pistol shrimp. They really do much better with their partner shrimp. I'm assuming you have a substrate / sand in the bottom? This is a fish that normally lives on/in a sand substrate and will dive into it's sand hole when it feels in danger. It's also a jumper. You'll need a screen or top of some kind.
If you see the YWG chasing the other goby, it won't work. So you'll have to re-home either one of the fish. I suggest being prepared for that eventuality if you go ahead with tying it in your tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back