Can i have to much life rock?

Michel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs has some ceramic blocks on sale. They are 10x10x2,5cm and they should be equal to 10kg (22 pounds) of life rock.

My litle nano (waterbox 10) has around 38 liter (10 gallon) of water and I think I have around 3 kg (6.6 pounds) of life rock.

Can I use a block like this in my nano? or will it give bad results?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ceramic blocks are advantageous due to high surface area, exceeding live rock porosity. Some of these are brittle and leach forms of metals, aluminum, some inert, into the water. It is up to debate whether the leaching is harmful, since the forms are very inert, similar to sand.
Marinepure is a good brand in this area.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An old rule of thumb is 1.5 lbs of rock per gross gallon of system. Frankly, I think that's way too much rock---not because having too much rock will do anything bad for your water, but just because it reduces swimming space for fish and growing space for coral. My system seems to operate OK with a little less than 1 : 1. In your case, I'd recommend getting some of these ceramic biospheres to put in your back "sump" area. One bag (1 pound) would be more than enough extra surface area for you. I really like these spheres because they don't disintegrate like much of the other ceramic media.

OP
OP
Michel

Michel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oke thank, in that case I won't buy them now and will do some reading about those spheres.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back