Can I just plug unused bulkheads with threaded PVC plugs?

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a tank for raising inverts. It's a "working" tank, not a display tank. I'll be running a line out and back for a chiller, and I've drilled two holes for sending water to and returning it. There will be no sump. At some point in the future, I might want to use the tank as a DT. As long as I'm already making a mess, and already have a template for drilling, I'm thinking that maybe I should make a total of 4 holes so that I can plumb it Bean Animal style in the future. I'll have two extra holes into which I can put bulkheads and plugs. Of course, the more plugged holes there are, the greater the risk of leakage. This doesn't seem like it would be a problem, though. I'd like to go ahead and do it. Is there any reason I shouldn't?

Thanks.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no reason as long as you accecpt the risks of a possible, although improbable leak.
I have a hole drilled in my sump for an externial pump. It's plugged and has been for over 5 years with no problems at all.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see no reason as long as you accecpt the risks of a possible, although improbable leak.
I have a hole drilled in my sump for an externial pump. It's plugged and has been for over 5 years with no problems at all.

That's what plumbers tape is great for.

Gobi-Wan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what plumbers tape is great for.
Seconded. Plug the bulkheads BEFORE you install them. You want more torque to install a plug than you're going to want to put on it when it's in the glass of your tank. Take thread tape and wrap about 5 times clockwise if you're looking at the threaded end. Then smooth it down and thread it in hand tight, then go another couple rotations. Don't crank it down super hard but you want it more than hand tight. It crushes the thread tape to create a seal.

OP
OP
S

Swingline77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice.
Another question: I went to a plumbing supply store today and asked for a "bulkhead", which the guy had never heard of. I drew a picture, and he was still unfamiliar. I then asked for what is pictured below (for a structural project not related to plumbing the aquarium). To be fair, I drew it and didn't show a picture, so maybe he didn't know what I was referring to.
025528779894.jpg

He said that they only carried "plumbing" supplies, and that I was "in the wrong supply house". I get the feeling that I wasn't being blown off, and that the guy legitimately was unable to help me out. At this point, I thought I'd probably be better off just getting everything online. Where would you recommend? Grainger seems good, but their search engine is terrible. McMaster has good stuff, but considering their 1" bulkheads run from $21.50-$38.31, I think I'll look elsewhere. Any suggestions? Thanks.

denison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi ndrwater instantly drawn to your post - I have a 320 litre tank with two holes with bulkheads already in place from a previous sump set up, I want to cap these holes was told it couldn't be done so have been looking for a way I was planning to (when I find where to get them) find a cap for each end of the bit of through pipe left- so four caps two bulkheads, my concern is pressure once tank is filled I'm interested in what you have to say on this

Back