Can i just remove my marine pure blocks to ease worry about aluminum

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two acropora corals rtn in the last 24 hours. I can't find any cause. Chemistry is all stable and no changes that I know of have occurred. Alk 8.5, CA 550 Ish ( little high but I doubt my issue) mg 1500, phosphate 0.03, nitrates 5 amonia 0. I use salifert for everything except phosphate which I use Hannah for. I do daily water changes of 3 gallons for a 200 total gallon system. I have 2 marine pure blocks and I was thinking of removing them in case it is aluminum causing my problems. Can I just take them out with no bad effects on my biological filtration? Is it worth taking them out with no icp test showing my aluminum is high? I have heard of people who's rtn got better after removing the blocks.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had two acropora corals rtn in the last 24 hours. I can't find any cause. Chemistry is all stable and no changes that I know of have occurred. Alk 8.5, CA 550 Ish ( little high but I doubt my issue) mg 1500, phosphate 0.03, nitrates 5 amonia 0. I use salifert for everything except phosphate which I use Hannah for. I do daily water changes of 3 gallons for a 200 total gallon system. I have 2 marine pure blocks and I was thinking of removing them in case it is aluminum causing my problems. Can I just take them out with no bad effects on my biological filtration? Is it worth taking them out with no icp test showing my aluminum is high? I have heard of people who's rtn got better after removing the blocks.
If you want to pull them, just don't pull them both at the same time imo. Pull one, wait a month, then pull the other.

Moonrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue. I pulled 4 of the big bricks and probably 100 balls. LOL. I didn't have any issues.

Make sure to be gentle because they do crumble fairly easily. I also run the triton method. Not sure if that helps.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue. I pulled 4 of the big bricks and probably 100 balls. LOL. I didn't have any issues.

Make sure to be gentle because they do crumble fairly easily. I also run the triton method. Not sure if that helps.

Did you notice any difference (good or bad) after removing them?

OP
OP
Herby’s reef

Herby’s reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, do you think with frequent water changes, 10 percent per week done daily, the aluminum could possibly be high enough to be concerned? I ordered an icp test. Would rather not remove my marine pure unless I need to, but I don't want to lose any more sps while I wait on results.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Historically, the thing that was known to respond to aluminum first were leather corals. So when I tested aluminum toxicity, I only tested soft corals, and am not sure what levels are needed to impact SPS corals. I generally wouldn’t assume the blocks are a problem, but if you have a problem and have run through other more obvious causes, it is a possible thing to look at.

Moonrock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good after that. I had coral that didn't grow for like 6 months encrust pretty fast. Now its branching in all directions. I dont use anymore marine pure. I think marine pure is good but it wears out. It has so many pores that it works like rock. If you put dirty algae rock in your tank that stuff will spread. if you have some bad stuff happen with your tank that marine pure is going to inhale all of it. Then it will sit there and leach out slowly. I think marine pure is good but you have to rotate it out or change it every so often because it will become a bundle of good and bad stuff with all the surface area it has.

I dont use it anymore and Ive been better without it. I did remove it all at once and I didnt have any negative affects.

zoasaholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good after that. I had coral that didn't grow for like 6 months encrust pretty fast. Now its branching in all directions. I dont use anymore marine pure. I think marine pure is good but it wears out. It has so many pores that it works like rock. If you put dirty algae rock in your tank that stuff will spread. if you have some bad stuff happen with your tank that marine pure is going to inhale all of it. Then it will sit there and leach out slowly. I think marine pure is good but you have to rotate it out or change it every so often because it will become a bundle of good and bad stuff with all the surface area it has.

I dont use it anymore and Ive been better without it. I did remove it all at once and I didnt have any negative affects.
Do you have pictures before and after?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back