Can I keep skunk cleaners in a 5gallon

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes it the only, I just like cleaner shrimp. I think they are cool. And 4 because why not. 2 at least
They are super cool! I love inverts but these guys are especially fun since they kinda like you back. Lol I don’t believe they make a ton of waste, so I can’t say it wouldn’t work, especially if you started with small ones and let them grow in there. If 4 full size cleaners turn into too many, move one or two out to another tank. You’ll probably have a tank full of babies before you know it too. :)

Last edited:

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m more worried what they would eat …..
most cleaners such as shrimp and wrasse require other fish to eat parasites off of . Requesting 4 in such a small system would it solely provide enough food for them all ?

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most cleaners such as shrimp and wrasse require other fish to eat parasites off of . Requesting 4 in such a small system would it solely provide enough food for them all ?
I feed my cleaner shrimp pieces of frozen shrimp from the grocery store. Kind of morbid I guess, but it keeps them happy!

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine seem to thrive solely off the food they steal from my corals! ;)

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess here is my question - why are you limiting it to a 5 gallon? Im assuming you thought about the fact that that may be crowded so you asked here? Why not get a 10 gallon and ask then? Or a 30?

kingoftheHiLLpeople

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - that came off extremely rude of me. I apologize. How i should have phrased it: does it have to be a 5 gallon tank? Could you do a larger tank? I think you are confining shrimp too many of the same type of shrimp into too small a space. Does it have to be 4 cleaners or could you mix in some other shrimp?

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Verrrrrry true!
Understanding they can be fed raw shrimp as commented above. .
In a small system such as the op is asking about What they eat and if The system is mature to support their needs is my only question .
they are cleaners and to my understanding they clean parasites ?
or cleaners for cleaning detritus ?

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience they will kill each other until there are only two left. Have heard this way too often from different reefers.

Edit: It may work with juveniles, but as soon as they have eggs they will kill the competiton.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure if you’ve already made any decisions but I came across this article today which reminded me of this thread. So it sounds like I did not give you good advice earlier in this thread (my reply wasn’t as well thought out as it should have been) and apparently, you should not have more than two cleaner shrimp in a tank because they will just kill each other until there are 2 left.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back