Can I kill Marine Velvet on my live rock with a freshwater bath?/Is Paraguard helpful against velvet?

ReeferMadness710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1 clown fish appeared to have a slight film developing on the side in a few spots, what I took be to the first sign of velvet (It did not appear to be sand like spots), so I placed my 2 Clowns and Strawberry Dottyback in a QT tank so I could treat and not hurt my inverts and corals. Question 1. If I put a live rock in my QT tank for bacteria, can I freshwater dip the rock later for 48 hours till kill off the Velvet before reintroducing it to my tank when I no longer need it in my QT tank? and Question 2. Is Paraguard good for treating velvet?

Thanks for your time!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Velvet is a lot rarer than people think. The key symptoms with it are rapid breathing, followed by death in 36 to 48 hours if left untreated. Paragard is not my preferred treatment for any marine protozoan disease. If it was velvet, FW will kill it, but some strains can live as low as 3 ppt, so you need to ensure no residual saltwater was in the rock crevices etc. One way would be to drain the tank, fill it with FW then drain and fill again.

Jay

OP
OP
R

ReeferMadness710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Velvet is a lot rarer than people think. The key symptoms with it are rapid breathing, followed by death in 36 to 48 hours if left untreated. Paragard is not my preferred treatment for any marine protozoan disease. If it was velvet, FW will kill it, but some strains can live as low as 3 ppt, so you need to ensure no residual saltwater was in the rock crevices etc. One way would be to drain the tank, fill it with FW then drain and fill again.

Jay
Thank you very much Jay! Very new and trying to navigate my way through the reef world with as little death as possible lol. I was trying to figure out how to have a proper QT tank without any bacteria build up. I am seeing through reading threads I will need to do constant water changes to midigate the lack of bacteria since I plan to dose the tank. What would you suggest instead of Paraguard? That was what they recommended to me at my local fish store.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1 clown fish appeared to have a slight film developing on the side in a few spots, what I took be to the first sign of velvet (It did not appear to be sand like spots), so I placed my 2 Clowns and Strawberry Dottyback in a QT tank so I could treat and not hurt my inverts and corals. Question 1. If I put a live rock in my QT tank for bacteria, can I freshwater dip the rock later for 48 hours till kill off the Velvet before reintroducing it to my tank when I no longer need it in my QT tank? and Question 2. Is Paraguard good for treating velvet?

Thanks for your time!

I’m just finishing treating two fish that showed velvet shortly after I bought them - you are wise to quarantine!

Clowns are suspectible to brook...

Great thread with all you need to know to get started with QT...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much Jay! Very new and trying to navigate my way through the reef world with as little death as possible lol. I was trying to figure out how to have a proper QT tank without any bacteria build up. I am seeing through reading threads I will need to do constant water changes to midigate the lack of bacteria since I plan to dose the tank. What would you suggest instead of Paraguard? That was what they recommended to me at my local fish store.
Coppersafe is my go to med for quarantine.
Bacteria free shouldn’t be a goal for quarantine tanks...those with a stable microbiome always do better.
Jay

OP
OP
R

ReeferMadness710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria free shouldn’t be a goal for quarantine tanks...those with a stable microbiome always do better.
Jay
I was told that adding medication to the tank will kill the beneficial bacteria and I will need to do pretty regular water changes to keep ammonia and Nitrites down.

coralreefer123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
Hi Jay, will coppersafe/any copper treatment for 30 days or more kill my pod population? Also dealing with velvet in my display tank (20 gallons). I have two clowns and a goby. No other fish show signs of velvet yet. The one that died I took out of the tank when I saw the dusty spots. Is it possible that since I relieved the sick fish, the spores, tomonts didn’t have time to release from the fish?
I was planning on treating with copper at 2.20 (I have a Hana reader) for 30 days. Thoughts?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jay, will coppersafe/any copper treatment for 30 days or more kill my pod population? Also dealing with velvet in my display tank (20 gallons). I have two clowns and a goby. No other fish show signs of velvet yet. The one that died I took out of the tank when I saw the dusty spots. Is it possible that since I relieved the sick fish, the spores, tomonts didn’t have time to release from the fish?
I was planning on treating with copper at 2.20 (I have a Hana reader) for 30 days. Thoughts?
I don’t really track isopods/copepods/amphipods during copper treatments, but my expectation is that the adult pods won’t be affected, but it might be toxic to young ones.
Yes - 2.20 is a full dose for coppersafe.
Jay

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 39 59.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back