Can I make my dream seahorse tank?

Bugeater281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve always wanted seahorses. But I know they are not the easiest fish to care for. No I just set up a 210g system that doing really well. I’ve always had an idea, and I’m curious if you guys think it’s doable. Since seahorse need colder water, and great filtration, and low flow. I had an idea of hooking up a 40g planted refugium for seahorses. It would be plumbed into the bigger tank. However temp is an issue, since my main system is 78*. So I was thinking of running water slowly through a glass baffle to cool the water off. Then temp would be controlled by flow. And it would be in my basement which stays around 67*-68*.

just curious if anyone here has done something similar, giving the seahorse the great filtering capacity of a large tank. While also limiting the flow and being able to heavily feed them.

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a standalone system. For starters its not just temps and flow you need to worry about being plumbed into the bigger tank. Also cross contamination. Any diseases you introduce into your main tank is now into the Seahorse tank as well. Not sure if you know that Seahorses are delicate....I wouldn't chance it.

Standalone is your best bet.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a standalone system. For starters its not just temps and flow you need to worry about being plumbed into the bigger tank. Also cross contamination. Any diseases you introduce into your main tank is now into the Seahorse tank as well. Not sure if you know that Seahorses are delicate....I wouldn't chance it.

Standalone is your best bet.
+1

Shorething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a system similar to what your suggesting. I have a 220 gallon reef tank with a 110 gallon seahorse tank. I run a dos on an auto water change setup to transfer water between the systems. The systems are real stable and fairly low maintenance
Don't let flow scare you my seahorses love flow. Just give them areas with low flow to retreat to.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a system similar to what your suggesting. I have a 220 gallon reef tank with a 110 gallon seahorse tank. I run a dos on an auto water change setup to transfer water between the systems. The systems are real stable and fairly low maintenance
Don't let flow scare you my seahorses love flow. Just give them areas with low flow to retreat to.

I would love to see this. can you do a video so we can drool :D

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would love to see your setup!

Shorething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two systems are actually in different rooms. The only thing that joins them is a Neptune systems DOS. You can program the DOS to do auto water changes. My 220 gallon reef tank consumes most of the nutrient load from the water. My 110 gallon seahorse system produces lots of nitrates so I am basically feeding the nitrates to my reef tank and replacing the the water in the seahorse tank with 0 nitrate water. My only problem is my phosphates, so I use phosgaurd to keep the numbers in check.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two systems are actually in different rooms. The only thing that joins them is a Neptune systems DOS. You can program the DOS to do auto water changes. My 220 gallon reef tank consumes most of the nutrient load from the water. My 110 gallon seahorse system produces lots of nitrates so I am basically feeding the nitrates to my reef tank and replacing the the water in the seahorse tank with 0 nitrate water. My only problem is my phosphates, so I use phosgaurd to keep the numbers in check.

sounds like you have it dialed in.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back