Can I mix bacterial medication with copper power?

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help asap. I had a big ich outbreak in all of my tanks and all fish are now in qt with copper power. Im running it at 2.25-2.50.
My coran angle has extremely cloudy eyes, and my blue hipps is covered in ich. Can i mix imagitarium bacterial infection remedy along with the copper? Need an answer asap. Thank you.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't help with that specific product, but here's a breakdown on what is and is not ok with copper.

Copper:
Be cautious with copper, most copper treatments are paired with bonds to make them relatively safer than pure copper, this means that sometimes mixing them with other chemicals or medications might alter the bond and make them toxic.

Copper + Praziquantel
Copper + Antibiotics
Copper + Myxazin
Copper + Paraguard (No, paraguard has reducing agents)
Copper + Prime (only with chelated copper like Copper Power, Coppersafe)
Copper + Sulfa-based Antimicrobial Medications (No)

OP
OP
nano_ryan

nano_ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't help with that specific product, but here's a breakdown on what is and is not ok with copper.

Copper:
Be cautious with copper, most copper treatments are paired with bonds to make them relatively safer than pure copper, this means that sometimes mixing them with other chemicals or medications might alter the bond and make them toxic.

Copper + Praziquantel
Copper + Antibiotics
Copper + Myxazin
Copper + Paraguard (No, paraguard has reducing agents)
Copper + Prime (only with chelated copper like Copper Power, Coppersafe)
Copper + Sulfa-based Antimicrobial Medications (No)
ok so is that a yes or a no

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so is that a yes or a no
Like I said above, can't help you with that particular "medication." They won't tell you what's in it. That's a problem. Some additives can create toxic situations with copper.

Here's a list of antibiotics to use with Copper except where noted. Specifically don't use a sulfa based like Sulfaplex or Triple Sulfa with copper.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t find the ingredients for the bacterial remedy product you mentioned so it might be best not to mix it.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you end up mixing the antibiotics with the copper, make sure you throw in an airstone or point a powerhead up to the surface to increase oxygen uptake.

I just mixed Metrodonizole with copper and had no problems.

TheOldSalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No!

It might possibly be safe, chemically, but often isn't.

The real problem is that the bad-guy species of bacteria LOVE copper.
If you have an infection in your tank, adding copper is the worst thing you can do. It will make the infection worse while at the same time depressing the immune system of the fish. Bad combination!!

See how the copper bottle says "will not destroy your nitrifying filter bacteria?" It won't destroy the evil ones, either.

This is why you have to quarantine your fish in the right way, doing each step in the right order. If you spot any signs of infection, treat for that first and then go back to ick treatment.

Freshwater dips are a good way to keep your fish alive, to kill ick, while treating for infection.

TheOldSalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, cloudy eyes in fish with ick isn't necessarily a sign of infection anyway. The eyes cloud up when attacked by ich, and usually clear up again on their own once the ick is gone.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back