Can I mix supplements with RO for dosing?

Discussion in 'Aquaforest' started by andrew james, Dec 19, 2016.

1. andrew james

andrew james Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

Im going to try the full AF method I'm going to do Component 1,2,3, ProBio, NP Pro, AF Energy, Build, Amino, Vitality, Power Food Fish V and Garlic OilI'd like to automate these as much as possible. Which ones can I mix together and with RO water and put through my dosing pump without issues?

I have 7 dosing pumps and 5 magnetic lab stirrers available will I be able to do it?

RT2 likes this.
    Tags:
  2. RT2

RT2 Well-Known Member

following

3. Perry

Perry Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

Hello,
    Sorry for delay.
    Yes you can automate, but no you cannot mix with RODI. NP Pro can be diluted with RODI, but is offered in a 2 liter dosing mix, this it the diluted version made for dosing. Pro Bio S needs to be shaken prior to use, so with the stirrer, this is possible. The only hang up is that it should be stored at 24 degrees celcius(75.2 degrees F) so as long as your ambient temp where the bottles are stored are within range in temp, this should be ok. Keep in mind the Kore 5th pairs nicely, as it can dose by the drop and also has a stirrer capability. If your doser does not do by drops, you will only be able to automate NP Pro and Component 123. Component 123 is also a dosable balling liquids that can be dosed, it will be 3 bottles, these 3 bottles are in 5 liter jugs, and will support all minerals and trace required. This can also be prepared from dry yourself should you choose to make your own, it does work out cheaper this way.

jsker likes this.
  4. andrew james

I just happen to have a PS kore 5th, so that's cool. So AF Energy, Build, Amino, Vitality & Power cannot be dilluted, What about Power Food can it be mixed beforehand?

5. Perry

Well Enegry and Build would need to be dosed by drop and on stirrer. NP Pro could be by drop or diluted version by ml. Pro Bio S on stirrer by drop. You could also use by drop Amino Mix and Vitality no stirrer. For Power Food, that is dry powder form, to be mixed with tank water and dosed at night as a supplement food source. This would not be able to be pre-prepared, but the rest of the lineup with the right equipment can :)

Ramasule likes this.
  6. andrew james

Thanks that's perfect info.

7. andrew james

Well I decided to say hell with it and not follow instructions. I mixed up 450ml RODI and 45 drops of Build. I'm dosing 10ml 4x a day on a stirrer. Let's see what happens. I suspect there is something lost in translation I don't see why mixing with RODI could be that bad, maybe I'm wrong. I will watch my tank closely and see.

I also setup Fish V the same way.

8. Perry

Keep me in the loop, sound interesting, hope it works @andrew james :)

9. re76

re76 Well-Known Member PMAS Member

@andrew james Any update on this ?

I just got myself a Kore 5th and I am eyeballing the stirrer! It would be great to be able to dose ABEV automatically. It can do drop dosing but I am still concerned that it isn't going to work.

My concern is that if we are just dosing drops, what is going to be stirred in the container is not going to be what is dosed. I am afraid the stirred supplement will sit in the tube and fall out of solution since only what is in the bottle is getting stirred, and what is sitting in the tube is what is getting dosed.

Have you experienced this?

10. andrew james

I've been dosing these mixed with RO for about two months. I dont know if the do anything in the first place or if mixing them makes them not work. What I do know is mixing them with RO beforehand isnt hurting anything.

I've diluted them enough where liquid in the tubing is entirely replaced in under 24 hours in an attempt to not let the good stuff settle in the tubing.

re76 likes this.
  11. andrew james

oh I've also been doing the same with flatworm stop which is my other favorite snake oil.

re76 likes this.
  12. re76

re76 Well-Known Member PMAS Member

Ok cool. I might end up doing the same then.

Would be great to get a response from Aquaforest about dilluting ABEV.

On the plus side, I have been hand-dosing for about a month so I can provide some insight as to whether or not anything changes for better or worse.

13. andrew james

I got a response from AF, they said don't do it. but they wouldnt tell me why. Just FYI im not doing it on my Display only my my frag tank. I have been seeing good growth and color on my acros and sps in general. Just not sure if it's anymore than before.

jsker likes this.
  14. bimborocks

bimborocks Member

Interested in how its going for you and if you plan on stopping dosing at some stage to see if there is any difference or doing some sort of comparison? Would love to be avle to automate the whole process and spend more time staring at the tank instead of working/dosing it :)

15. andrew james

My tank still has a lot of maturing to do but it's going well and coral is thriving. I seriously notice new growth everyday on my acans and acros.

[​IMG]

Arcticreefer and Anirban like this.
  16. Arcticreefer

Arcticreefer Member

Thats a gorgeous tank Andrew, i might have to steal your powerhead placement idea:p