Can I move a Red Sea E-260 myself or do I need to hire professionals?

ggwp1111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a local listing for an used Red Sea E-260 that I'm interested in. Tank is currently running and including fishes. I know the general gist of how to move an aquarium. Buckets for fishes, water and rocks, etc... But the seller recommend using an aquarium movers but they are quoting me $500+ moving it from their place to mine (8 miles away). Anyhow, I've moved an empty 90 gallons regular tank before, I don't know if the e260 would be heavier consider it's only 69 gallons. So if anyone owns this tank, would you recommend trying to move this myself (my brother can help) or worth spending $500 on a mover?

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a local listing for an used Red Sea E-260 that I'm interested in. Tank is currently running and including fishes. I know the general gist of how to move an aquarium. Buckets for fishes, water and rocks, etc... But the seller recommend using an aquarium movers but they are quoting me $500+ moving it from their place to mine (8 miles away). Anyhow, I've moved an empty 90 gallons regular tank before, I don't know if the e260 would be heavier consider it's only 69 gallons. So if anyone owns this tank, would you recommend trying to move this myself (my brother can help) or worth spending $500 on a mover?

Big 'Howdy!' from DFW neighbor, as I just noticed you are also Texas.

If you are healthy, strong, and esp if you have a friend 1-3 (yippee for your brother!) that can help, then just do it yourself. Make sure you have a vehicle that tank and all can fit inside. Helping a friend with tank like that couple months back, filled mini-van and then overflow of buckets, trashbags of stuff, and all went into our various cars and we caravaned to new location.

Have clean additional saltwater already mixed and ready to go at new location... AND ideally it is same salinity as what you are moving. If seller has been neglecting tank and you're dealing with high salinity due to evaporation, then just mix your new high (to MATCH) and fix it slowly after fish and corals that are moving have settled. Recommend to seller they not feed fish on day of move as they'll tend to move better on empty stomach.

I did have a LFS move my 180g for $1300 but that was so much bigger/heavier. I did just move 55 on our own (and BF still recovering from surgery)

Yes, lots and lots of buckets. Totes are also helpful, but filled totes are too heavy to carry (and more bulky to put in vehicles).

TIP: don't put that sand from original tank into moved tank, first rinse, rinse until clear, then rinse with RO, THEN add to tank... You'll be too tired to do it that same night as everything else, so just plan to do that in the near-term following tank move day.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved one of my RSM250s in January; it was a 500km trip home. It's the heaviest and most unwieldly tank I've ever moved. I did with two people, and that's not advisable. My RSR350, on the other hand, felt like half the weight, and it was no problem transporting it (also 500 km) with two people.

I'd say that anything that's four feet or smaller can be moved by two people. Unless you're both powerlifters (and yes, I have seen those threads). :)

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd save the $500 for coral/fish/equipment and move it myself. When I moved my 65G cube to new house, I put all livestock into a large brute w LR, heater, powerhead and light after transporting them in smaller buckets and all survived a week while I set up a larger tank.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just lifting the tank and maneuvering it in and out of the house, car will need 2 mildly strong people. My wife and I had to move a RSM250 which is an AIO 65g and davidcalgary29 mentioned, it was deceptively heavy and not balanced probably due to the extra pane of glass in the rear chamber. My wife was like never again Lol!
I would think the E-260 would be even heavier then the RSM250 so well over 100lbs.

OP
OP
G

ggwp1111

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies guys. The seller decided to drop the price down by half and it's too good of a deal to pass on so I'm gonna give it a try to try to move it myself. Hopefully it goes well :)

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved a 120 twice before by myself. Just needed help getting back on the stand.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a dolly. Just pad it well, stand the tank on end and out you go. I moved my 180 gallon tank and stand alone and moved a 125 gallon down to my basement alone that is now my sump. I also moved a 900 lb gun safe from my truck, up 3 steps and through our house to our bedroom. My Gal says I'm not quite right but I pride myself in doing things alone. Well that and I have no friends to ask for help and I refuse to pay someone to do something I can do myself. A 69g tank would be a walk in the park ;)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back