Can I move rock from a tank with dinos to a new tank?

ifunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings!

I have an established 37 gallon reef tank that recently had an outbreak of dinoflagellates (Ostreopsis). Unfortunately, the tank also has a seal that is going bad (developing some larger bubbles), and so I'm using these circumstances as an opportunity to upgrade to a larger 130.4 Waterbox.
Due to the impending leak, I'm interested in transferring all my livestock (fish, inverts, bta, and coral) in as short a time as possible while still being safe (...perhaps this is an oxymoron?).

To help seed my new 130.4 system, can I transfer my live rock from my dino-infested 37 gallon? I would plan to give each rock a good scrubbing and saltwater rinse before adding to the new tank.
Are there other things I need to be concerned about? I'm open to other ideas and suggestions if you'd kindly be willing to share. Kind of stressed out right now...

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having struggled with dinos recently I would not consider it. Clean live or dry rock with some Dr. Tim's, etc. Is the safe way and I wouldn't really worry about cycle time if you have a few days

OP
OP
ifunk

ifunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having struggled with dinos recently I would not consider it. Clean live or dry rock with some Dr. Tim's, etc. Is the safe way and I wouldn't really worry about cycle time if you have a few days
Appreciate your response.
Would I need to worry about corals? Maybe freshwater dip them?

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if you deep clean rock to be safe
Appreciate your response.
Would I need to worry about corals? Maybe freshwater dip them?
I would swirl in salt water to remove stringy dinos as a precaution but don't really know if any of the dips, including fresh water, weaken/kill them. As you know dinos of some kind are present in just about every body of water. Personally, I would try to avoid stressing corals

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the new tank established with non-dino sources. Source some live rock, sand, macroalgae etc from healthy sources. Then only after everything is well established would I move the dino rocks into the new system.
since that timing sounds like not an option, you could move over livestock, but hold the rock in a tub or similar for a while.

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I kept my Dino infested rock and moved it into my new tank it immediately brought the infestation back to full force in under 3 weeks. I tried peroxide and a good rinse. Finally starting to win the battle now

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would NOT use any of the rock from the system that had Dino's without an acid bath.

You're fighting dinos right now in a 37g and it's frustrating. It would be even worse in a larger tank.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the new tank established with non-dino sources. Source some live rock, sand, macroalgae etc from healthy sources. Then only after everything is well established would I move the dino rocks into the new system.
since that timing sounds like not an option, you could move over livestock, but hold the rock in a tub or similar for a while.
+1 to this. I’ve actually done this and had dinos magically never appear. I’m one to assume that dinos exist in every tank and are opportunistic. I’ve also taken corals that were getting battered by dinos (like birds nest because of their thin stick-like structure) to another aquarium to save them. It’s all about the microbiology of what’s in your tank.

OP
OP
ifunk

ifunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to this. I’ve actually done this and had dinos magically never appear. I’m one to assume that dinos exist in every tank and are opportunistic. I’ve also taken corals that were getting battered by dinos (like birds nest because of their thin stick-like structure) to another aquarium to save them. It’s all about the microbiology of what’s in your tank.
I might try moving my corals to a quarantine of sorts before moving them over to the larger DT then. How long would you recommend observing them before transfer to DT?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might try moving my corals to a quarantine of sorts before moving them over to the larger DT then. How long would you recommend observing them before transfer to DT?
I’ve never tried it so I don’t know. When you take dinos out of water, if there’s enough, you’ll see a brown film. Brush off with a toothbrush and rinse. I’d even take this opportunity to dip in something like revive or even iodine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back