Can I over feed my blue ribbon eel?

wonderphil-reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound like a funny question considering how hard it is to get a blue Ribbon Eel to eat in the first place, but my Eel will eat anything that is colourful enough for it to see and really enjoys Guppies.

So will I have an endless breeding supply of Guppies I wonder how much I should feed as this week it's eaten everything I have to give every day and while I think that is way too much I wonder if it is possible?

I will be going back to twice weekly feeds once back from holidays though.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound like a funny question considering how hard it is to get a blue Ribbon Eel to eat in the first place, but my Eel will eat anything that is colourful enough for it to see and really enjoys Guppies.

So will I have an endless breeding supply of Guppies I wonder how much I should feed as this week it's eaten everything I have to give every day and while I think that is way too much I wonder if it is possible?

lets ask @lion king, as they are a wealth of knowledge with eels and other aggressive fish.

Upvote 0

Echo2656

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you prob can over feed it, but I don't know how much that will take.

Upvote 0

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For most eels, feeding to satiation (until it stops eating) once, maybe twice a week, is usually a good schedule. That being said, this can change depending on the species and size of the eel. Feeding until satiation every day is a good way to get an overweight eel. I would give him/her a good amount of food a day, as ribbons are naturally very thin and seem to have a faster metabolism than most species, but you can still overdo it.

Upvote 0

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can feed them too often, feeding their full at one sitting is fine. Eels have a metabolism that is designed for a fast/gorge feeding cycle. So there needs to be time between feedings. A blue ribbon being a full adult eel, the black ribbon is the juvi form, would benefit from a weekly feeding. Feeding too often could result in fatty liver disease and premature death.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back