Can I place a bigger clownfish with a smaller one

jingles1834

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently trying to put a new ocellaris clown into my 20g tank. I had two clownfish before, but one died, so this is the replacement.
However, the new clownfish is approx 3 inches, while the clown I already have is about 1.5 inches. I’m worried about putting them together and having the big buddy kill my original one (and my favorite).
I would appreciate any advice or suggestions on how to properly introduce them to each other, or if this is just a bad idea.
I also have noticed that the new, bigger clown is very skiddish, and seems to be pretty timid, even for it’s size. I have it in quarantine right now.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the smaller one the male or female?
How long has it been alone?
If it was the male, there shouldn’t be a problem, but if a female there would likely be fighting.

OP
OP
jingles1834

jingles1834

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the smaller one the male or female?
How long has it been alone?
If it was the male, there shouldn’t be a problem, but if a female there would likely be fighting.
I’m honestly not sure. The smaller one was with the one that died for about 6 months. They were pretty close in size, but the one that died was just slightly bigger and would constantly harass the one that lived. So I would lean more toward it being a male, but I’m not sure if they were together long enough to completely establish dominance.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m honestly not sure. The smaller one was with the one that died for about 6 months. They were pretty close in size, but the one that died was just slightly bigger and would constantly harass the one that lived. So I would lean more toward it being a male, but I’m not sure if they were together long enough to completely establish dominance.
sounds like the current one was the male (being the less dominant one). Not sure if it’s been long enough to become a female though, at which point it would not get along with another female.

OP
OP
jingles1834

jingles1834

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like the current one was the male (being the less dominant one). Not sure if it’s been long enough to become a female though, at which point it would not get along with another female.
It has only been about a week since the other one died, and by the time I put the new one in, it’ll have been about three weeks. So we should be possibly good?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has only been about a week since the other one died, and by the time I put the new one in, it’ll have been about three weeks. So we should be possibly good?
Should be...that’s a safe amount of time if I’m correct.
How did the other one die?

alysak6075

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i've done this. Turned out fine. In fact its recommended to never mix clowns of same or similar size, bigger size difference is better. You will still get a bit of aggression in the beginning while they figure out who is boss.

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy a small holding box, and slowly introduce the new one that way,
It has worked for me plenty of times throughout the years.
However, if the smaller one is half the new ones size, they should pair up.
Even a fish net works, if the holding box isn’t an option for you.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
So i've done this. Turned out fine. In fact its recommended to never mix clowns of same or similar size, bigger size difference is better. You will still get a bit of aggression in the beginning while they figure out who is boss.
I agree. The trick is just that it is typically safest to get the new one smaller so they always figure it out with a male and female, when getting bigger there is a huge risk of both being female.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I

I agree. The trick is just that it is typically safest to get the new one smaller so they always figure it out with a male and female, when getting bigger there is a huge risk of both being female.
This is the best way to do it, and how I did it when I added a second clown. You would probably be fine adding a considerably bigger clownfish but the safest way is to add a considerably smaller clownfish.

OP
OP
jingles1834

jingles1834

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be...that’s a safe amount of time if I’m correct.
How did the other one die?
It jumped out of the tank!! Thought perhaps my water was off, but everything was fine after measuring it all. I think it just got startled, but now I’m keeping a lid on the tank.

OP
OP
jingles1834

jingles1834

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy a small holding box, and slowly introduce the new one that way,
It has worked for me plenty of times throughout the years.
However, if the smaller one is half the new ones size, they should pair up.
Even a fish net works, if the holding box isn’t an option for you.
This is what I was thinking too! I will definitely try and post an update.

OP
OP
jingles1834

jingles1834

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update for y’all:
I got a TankliMate to introduce them, but honestly I don’t even think it was necessary. As soon as I put the new clown in the box, my little clown swam up to it. I kept the large buddy in there for about an hour — I could tell he was itching to get out of there, so I put them together. They immediately started swimming together, and the smaller clownfish is doing his little waggles, so all is good!
Thank you everyone for your advice!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%

Back