Can i place a sump sock in display tank?

JamesZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Can i ask a silly question?

My 75g tank doesn't have a sump. Now i'm using Fluval 406 canister, in-tank Tunze 9012 skimmer, and 2 Tunze powerheads. In order to reduce the the frequency of cleaning the canister, can i place a pump and something like a sump sock in display? I mean i can clean the sock like every 3 days. I know it's maybe not good-looking. Can you give some advices?

thanks
James

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they make intake sponges or pre-filters for canister intakes. OR you can use a sponge filter, one of those types that suction to the back wall with 2 the sponges and central airlift.
Seachem also makes media bags which could work.

Fluval EDGE Pre-Filter Sponge
by Amazon.com

Last edited:

snk_anindya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi James,
Did you find a solution for this? I had a similar idea which I just posted here. If you tried something similar pls let me know.

OP
OP
JamesZ

JamesZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I use socks in display tank and remove most of the michanical filter from canister. Now the water is crystal clean. I use another small pump sucked on glass to input water to socks.

snk_anindya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I use socks in display tank and remove most of the michanical filter from canister. Now the water is crystal clean. I use another small pump sucked on glass to input water to socks.
If possible, pls share a pic sometime. I'd like to see how exactly you have done it.

Chrysemys

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a DIY video where a guy builds a similar concept using a water bottle filter floss and pump. Essentially the intake to the submersible pump mounts to a water bottle filled with filter floss.
I have used this post cleaning for a couple hours to pull out suspended solids. Works pretty well. I think if you put some planning into it you could make it look ok. I used a Mountain Dew bottle and an old powerhead that had an intake. Not something I’d want in the display all the time.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 47 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back