Can I plumb an UV sterilizer in the sump?

JustinMN18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following because I’d like to know to. I’m no plumbing expert at all. I myself am in the middle of my build and I planned on running dual returns, but running a smaller 3rd pump in the sump that feeds the uv and then coming out of the uv gets plumbed back down into the sump. That was what I was thinking to do. But again I’m no expert and would like to hear others opinions
Can you tell me where to place the feed pump for the UV, and where you put the output tube? Same chamber for in and out, or pump in skimmer and output in return?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’m thinking of getting an 8w Aqua uv sterilizer for my 40g with a 20g sump. I want to use it for algae control (nutrients are fine but I always have bubble algae and get cyano sometimes and feel it would help keep the tank cleaner). I know the water flow through the unit is faster for algae than using it for organisms like ich. My questions are about how to plumb it. My return pump is only c. 250gph. To use this unit for algae control, I’d need a pump that runs over 400gph. I’d like to plumb the whole unit in the sump but BRS videos say not to run it like that. I can’t think of how to plumb a pump that powerful in the sump without disrupting the flow through the sump. Has anyone been able to plumb the whole thing in the sump? If that’s a bad idea, what would be the best way to run the uv sterilizer? I just can’t think of how I could plumb it to and from the display tank. I’m pretty good with plumbing (DIY’ed my whole system!), but this has me stumped. Any help is greatly appreciated!
My unit is in the sump

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
While you can do this, everything I’ve read said you shouldn’t. The flow your tank requires - and the flow needed for the UV can be quite different especially if you are trying to target something with the UV. By running it using the same pump as your DT you loose all control.
In my post, I show how I achieved full control of the flow.
I can divert all, some, or none to go through the UV.
I think I commented to go through the UV because the OPs flow rate was so low to begin with.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Can you tell me where to place the feed pump for the UV, and where you put the output tube? Same chamber for in and out, or pump in skimmer and output in return?
doesn't matter., you could have them in the same chamber.

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sicce pump feeding the UV is in my skimmer chamber and the output is in the return chamber. Theory being if they are in the same chamber, you are just cycling the same water over and over through it whereas you are pulling water that’s gone through your filter cups or whatever, through your skimmer, through your uv then dumping into your returns to head back into main tank. In reality it really probably doesn’t matter. But that was my theory on why I did it the way I did

OP
OP
glb

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sicce pump feeding the UV is in my skimmer chamber and the output is in the return chamber. Theory being if they are in the same chamber, you are just cycling the same water over and over through it whereas you are pulling water that’s gone through your filter cups or whatever, through your skimmer, through your uv then dumping into your returns to head back into main tank. In reality it really probably doesn’t matter. But that was my theory on why I did it the way I did
This is how mine is. It works great

thepacific

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were there any problems with ATO with this setup? I have tried this setup recently and observed my ATO (in return chamber) did not run for couple days. Water level in return chamber did not go down. Observed low water levels in main chamber. Return pump runs at higher flow than the UV pump which is in main chamber.

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were there any problems with ATO with this setup? I have tried this setup recently and observed my ATO (in return chamber) did not run for couple days. Water level in return chamber did not go down. Observed low water levels in main chamber. Return pump runs at higher flow than the UV pump which is in main chamber.
I keep my sump water levels in all chambers the same. So i have never had any issues with the ATO with how I have mine setup.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back