Can I populate an old coral with a new healthy one

Gordon Cashmore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I have this piece of coral since childhood bought at the beach. It really is what first interested me about saltwater aquariums and the like.
my question is if I put a healthy piece of coral up against this one in my tank is it possible the live piece will also migrate to this one and potentially fill it up and expand it.
I m thinking of what they are trying to do on the great barrier reefs?
If so any ideas what might have created this to start with and what might transfer to and thrive on it? It’s a really large piece of coral
E238DEA1-CC53-44F3-A01E-F12D14F53A5D.jpeg

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would actually be pretty awesome to grow some nice GSP over this! It will definitely take over the dead coral and if you put it somewhere in the sand will not take over any other rocks! You would also be able to peel it right of if you don’t like the result.

If you want to stick with hard coral, Echinopora lamellosa would like great aswell!

BloopFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the coral won't really be able revive the coral or put living tissue inside of the dead coral skeleton again, however it can directly encrust over the skeleton. As ndrwater says, encrusting corals like Cyphastria can cover the coral skeleton and make it as if the skeleton has living tissue once more

Back