Can I put a jellyfish in my reef tank ?!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be a dumb question I know they can’t have powerheads but all I use is my overflow pump I have very slow current and mostly lps corals was jw if they would be able to survive ?

Well no... it can't live with your live rock or corals. They go where the flow goes... so round tanks are used to they flow in a circle instead of just getting stuck in a corner.

Obviously in a reef tank it will crash into your rocks/corals which would cause injury.

You don't really have to try something to know the outcome. I mean I could try and fly out of an airplane by flapping my arms but I know I would go splat because we know how gravity works and about flight.

It is already known that they are weak swimmers just like I know I am a poor flyer.

Last edited:

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it works tho y’all gonna look kinda stupid thoooo I have not found one person who’s tried and I think my flow is low enough
Your no trailblazer dude, that mistake is much older then R2R is. You won’t find that stuff here because we advise against it for all the reasons already mentioned smh you sound very naive my guess is your 16 and know everything.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP is either a troll or a spoiled kid this is two cases where he deliberately wants to kill an animal. Mods should probably close the thread there is no reasoning or meaningful discussion going on anymore.
Agreed #MODS a little help please

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well no... it can't live with your live rock or corals. They go where the flow goes... so round tanks are used to they flow in a circle instead of just getting stuck in a corner.

Obviously in a reef tank it will crash into your rocks/corals which would cause injury.

You don't really have to try something to know the outcome. I mean I could try and fly out of an airplane by flapping my arms but I need to... to know I would go splat.

It is already known that they are weak swimmers just like we know I am a poor flyer.
I read not all are weak swimmers tho the moon jelly which is the most popular is the weakest of them ...the upside jellyfish I think would have the best shot
Your no trailblazer dude, that mistake is much older then R2R is. You won’t find that stuff here because we advise against it for all the reasons already mentioned smh you sound very naive my guess is your 16 and know everything.
like I said I’m 32 lol but I’m done posting once I get him in a week I’m gonna hear crickets when it works if not I’ll be the one apologizing but imma prove you “professionals” even tho you all have no experience with jellyfish lol goodnight y’all

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I read not all are weak swimmers tho the moon jelly which is the most popular is the weakest of them ...the upside jellyfish I think would have the best shot

like I said I’m 32 lol but I’m done posting once I get him in a week I’m gonna hear crickets when it works if not I’ll be the one apologizing but imma prove you “professionals” even tho you all have no experience with jellyfish lol goodnight y’all
Hey, just watching from the sidelines, but I wouldn’t consider a week a measure of success. Would be great if you created a thread with regular updates for a year or more Best of luck to you and the life you take into your care.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, just watching from the sidelines, but I wouldn’t consider a week a measure of success. Would be great if you created a thread with regular updates for a year or more Best of luck to you and the life you take into your care.
I will definitely! Ty

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your asking for the mods because your scared I’m gonna prove you wrong in a week? Hmmmm
I’m asking for the mods because the passive aggressive name calling has gotten out of hand. I don’t want to know about your dead jelly dude. It might last a week if your lucky but it won’t last a month or we’d all have jellys

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The upside down one can rest on the bottom which may spare it's life.

Can you tell me what makes you think you can take a jellyfish from the ocean and put it in a very artificial tank that is not at all designed for it's care?

What exactly about the jellyfish makes you think it can swim against low flow and avoid the rock and corals in your tank? An environment that is basically a tiny dot of the open swimming space compared to the ocean?

If you have some actual reasoning based on something. Please share.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The upside down one can rest on the bottom which may spare it's life.

Can you tell me what makes you think you can take a jellyfish from the ocean and put it in a very artificial tank that is not at all designed for it's care?

What exactly about the jellyfish makes you think it can swim against low flow and avoid the rock and corals in your tank? An environment that is basically a tiny dot of the open swimming space compared to the ocean?

If you have some actual reasoning based on something. Please share.
Not much on google nooone has even attempted most of my rock is covered with coral anyway but I’m tired got work I’ll let you all know shortly no it’s not gonna die If it shows any distress I’ll take it out simple night haters

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much on google nooone has even attempted most of my rock is covered with coral anyway but I’m tired got work I’ll let you all know shortly no it’s not gonna die If it shows any distress I’ll take it out simple night haters

You say no one has attempted but that is just silly. You are basing that off a online forum in 2021 with limited responses.

It is not far fetched to say these animals have been studied and cared for and trial and error went into designing aquariums and public displays for them.

You can say that for just about everything. We used to be REALLY bad at keeping coral alive and even fish.

Take a breath and use some critical thinking skills. Maybe some real research.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna be the first one to keep one alive or I’m deleting this account lol I’ll prove you wrong

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is literally public aquariums who have been studying jellyfish for decades.

dumb patrick star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
R2R was founded on the simple premise to develop a warm, friendly, suitable place to gather and discuss this hobby for people of all ages, backgrounds, and experience levels. The “Be Nice” policy is something we take very seriously. This can be especially challenging when we perceive trolling activity - please work to separate the problem from the people and focus on addressing the problem.

We highly encourage healthy debate here and understand not everyone will agree on all issues. In fact, we value healthy and even lively discussion of hobby issues and questions...this actually leads to advancements in our hobby, so we ALL win through these debates. What we will not tolerate is the negativity, name calling, belittling attitude towards other members or the topics being discussed. We are not asking you to cease debating your positions. What we are asking is that you do so in a healthy, respectful manner.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna be the first one to keep one alive or I’m deleting this account lol I’ll prove you wrong
There is a free resource online; it is the jellyfish animal care manual for public aquariums. I’m on my phone and can’t link it for you, but try googling: AZA jellyfish ACM

Jay

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since this guy is going to do it anyways no matter what we tell him, honestly we should let him post his updates here to see incase the 0.05% chance that it works. Or would you guys think shutting down this thread would make him less motivated to get one so he can't "prove us wrong"?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• B35B1FC3-AB0B-440C-9FBA-FC47B4E5E8A0.jpeg
    B35B1FC3-AB0B-440C-9FBA-FC47B4E5E8A0.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 97755D4D-4D5C-4628-AD33-B6F9B9793E37.jpeg
    97755D4D-4D5C-4628-AD33-B6F9B9793E37.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 35
  • B6C621AA-DCCF-40DA-8FA7-16C6F4BE0B48.jpeg
    B6C621AA-DCCF-40DA-8FA7-16C6F4BE0B48.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 34

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back