can I put a Purple tang and a whitecheck tang together?

Fish&coral72g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So before I was thinking of getting a purple tang. But at that time I hade a red sea reefer 250 so I couldn't put one in. But now I have a red sea reefer 350 (120 cm long/3.99 feet) so now I can get one! but when i was in the shop getting my foxface I saw a whitecheck tang aka: Acanuthurus nigricans. And I loved him or she! I was thinking of getting a tomini tang, But after I saw it I would rather have the whitecheck but I am unsure if I can put in with a purple tang or if the tank is to small. Please help!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So before I was thinking of getting a purple tang. But at that time I hade a red sea reefer 250 so I couldn't put one in. But now I have a red sea reefer 350 (120 cm long/3.99 feet) so now I can get one! but when i was in the shop getting my foxface I saw a whitecheck tang aka: Acanuthurus nigricans. And I loved him or she! I was thinking of getting a tomini tang, But after I saw it I would rather have the whitecheck but I am unsure if I can put in with a purple tang or if the tank is to small. Please help!
Honestly, the only Acanthurus tang that can go into a tank less than 5’ is the Convoct tang and even that needs Atleast 4’ of room. Even a purple tang will eventually need Atleast 5’ of swim room (Thats when they get to Atleast 4-5”).
The only tangs I can think of that will fit into that tank the longest are Ctenochaetus binotatus, Ctenochaetus tominiensis.
The tomini gets to Atleast 4”, same thing with the Blue eye kole. I would say that these fish could stay in your tank until they get to 2-2.5”, but if you don’t want to have to struggle to get “speeding” fish out of that tank, I recommend going for something less active like a Blenny, or Most wrasse (Paracheilinus need Atleast 4’ of tank to truly spread their fins).

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is too small for an Acanthurus IMO.
communityIcon_hay4cpjw3rw31.jpg

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have a purple and powder blue in my 350 both get along fine after the 1st week had to put a mirror up for the purple tang as he was added first

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, is the OP on about 350 gallons or litres? If it’s litres that’s only a 3’ tank and is VERY small for Acanthurus tangs.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Reefer 350 has only 275 litres display... so, pretty dang small
Yeah, I assumed the OP was talking about a Red Sea 350, forget pretty, it is VERY small for just about any tank IMHO..
Although, many other fish will work out (Besides, tangs are by far not the most personality filled fish, I find angels, wrasse, Foxfaces to have more personality than a tang - Alrhough I do still like the Achilles and Blue Eye koles)

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my lfs hade a yellow and a purple tang in the same size tank as me for 2 years
Just because they did it, doesn't mean it was a good idea. Watch a wild tang move over the reef, or even a large adult in a big tank. I won't keep any Zebrasoma in a tank less than 6' now, and most Acanthurus need an 8'+. Honestly, they behave so much more naturally and less aggressively. My old powder blue stopped pacing when I went from a standard 180 gallon (6'x2' footprint) to a 380 gallon (8'x4' footprint). All the tangs seemed much more relaxed. I had a large (15") vlamingii in there as well and sold him, as it was too small for him. My 12" hippo tang made that tank small with the way it cruised around in there.

You'd be much happier IMO with larger groups of small fish. A trio of yellow line cardinals and a dwarf angel like a coral beauty or flame would look amazing in a tank that size. Add a shrimp goby with pistol shrimp, a pair of clowns, and some other assorted small fish (royal gramma, less aggressive damsels, neon goby, maybe a banggai cardinal pair) and you'll have an amazing tank.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple, 3 yellows, chevron, clown, regal, and powder blue together without issues. going on 2 years in current tank and most of the fish have been from the previous tank for far longer. The oldest tang is the regal which is about 8 years in my care.

Not a believer in the tang police, but it will help if you have an open aquascape and feed alot. Like alot alot. I feed my tangs 4 times a day on an autofeeder plus about 5 cubes of frozen every day plus some flake feedings sportically. My tank is bigger than yours but even if you half that it is alot of food.

Keeping tangs well fed goes a long way to keeping the aggression down.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am a student so i can't upgrade in a while
Just wait to get a tang until you upgrade. I'm building my 75 gallon reef currently, and once I graduate and get my DVM in early 2025, I'll be building myself a massive reef (either 8'x4'x2.5' or 10'x4'x2.5'). Just have to see if the 10' will fit in the house. No matter what, I won't be buying any tangs until I get that setup, unless I set one of the 150 gallon stock tanks up as a FOWLR again, in which case I'd probably get a purple tang.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back