can i put a small yellow tang in a 100 gallon

U

User1

View Badges
How is your aquascape? Fish only? Reef? Doesn't matter much really but was just curious. One thing we as hobbyists consider, or should anyway, is the amount of swimming space. I mean if it is cram packed with rock and corals and it just has the space in front of the glass then no, I personally wouldn't do it.

But to your question can you - yes, of course. 100 gallons is a decent size. I kept a purple in my 100 gallon years ago and it did well. Not to aggressive but also not a lot of fish. It was the only tang in the system though. Rest of the fish at the time are flame angel, six line, and a pair of clowns. So not a lot and the purple was the largest.

Yeah - you can. Not that you needed our permission :D

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would at it last, by the way.

I would echo your response. Tangs need to be added last in a community tank. Once they get established and set their territories, they can be difficult to add other fish.

OP
OP
Remos reefs

Remos reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your aquascape? Fish only? Reef? Doesn't matter much really but was just curious. One thing we as hobbyists consider, or should anyway, is the amount of swimming space. I mean if it is cram packed with rock and corals and it just has the space in front of the glass then no, I personally wouldn't do it.

But to your question can you - yes, of course. 100 gallons is a decent size. I kept a purple in my 100 gallon years ago and it did well. Not to aggressive but also not a lot of fish. It was the only tang in the system though. Rest of the fish at the time are flame angel, six line, and a pair of clowns. So not a lot and the purple was the largest.

Yeah - you can. Not that you needed our permission :D
Not much for rocks and I have a pulsing xenia that is doing great

OP
OP
Remos reefs

Remos reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys for the input I'm going to add 2 more fish and then I'm going to add the small tang. The fish I have (2 small occ clownfish and 2 Mollies) and I plan to add 2 chromis damsels and 1 purple firefish and last but not least the yellow tang. Happy reefing btw!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Easily. Just assure it gets proper diet and a place to hide. Mainly with yellow tangs, stock in odd numbers - 1...3...5 and so forth

XxAlex_OhxX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. They need at least a 200 gallon. You are a fish abuser. I keep mine in a 600 gallon as a MININUM.
that's seriously overreaching. Yes, tangs are active swimmers, but yellow tangs/purple tangs will spend most of their time weaving through the rockwork and are no where close to being as an active, open swimmer as a hippo. Also not everyone has the space, let alone the money to have such a massive gem. People have kept yellow tangs for 10 years in tanks as small as 75 gallons. Bigger the better, of course but you can go as small as a 150-180

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
that's seriously overreaching. Yes, tangs are active swimmers, but yellow tangs/purple tangs will spend most of their time weaving through the rockwork and are no where close to being as an active, open swimmer as a hippo. Also not everyone has the space, let alone the money to have such a massive gem. People have kept yellow tangs for 10 years in tanks as small as 75 gallons. Bigger the better, of course but you can go as small as a 150-180
If you read his next post he was kidding.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back