Can I put something on my dry rock to prevent a slight smell

Bear_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I am new to reefing and have been preparing myself for Christmas day when I receive my Reef Salt and Crushed coral from Santa of course, I asked for which is all I need left to at least start my cycle. Currently this is the aquascape I am hoping to keep as long as I don't touch them again.

That being said Most of that dry rock is new. some of the pieces are older dry rock which even have a few minor pieces of old coral on them. I let them sit in boiling water then I had let them all sit in Seachem prime for a long time and I even eventually poured them out and put more on in water. After a few weeks took them out dried them out and eventually just stacked my rock to the aquascape I have now. They didn't smell when I originally got them it wasn't until I more then likely killed off a bunch of old stuff on them and scrubbed them with a tooth brush.

So what I am wondering now is they are producing just a slight odour as it is right beside me in my office. I was wondering as I have seen many videos and even started 52 weeks of reefing but noticed many people in cases of algae, phosphate etc.. they put vinegar or vodka in their tank a bit at a time. So I am wondering would it be ok to put some vinegar directly on a few of the pieces to prevent the smell a bit until I can actually fill up the tank and start my fishless cycle in a couple weeks.

79124549_484817489053680_6844863184629661696_n.jpg 79256316_566426080877774_5143311869120872448_n.jpg 79988787_451850955524579_4825933212083552256_n.jpg

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm not sure what to do without water. Typically carbon is what I’d say to use but not going to work here. Maybe open a thing if baking soda to absorb the smell? Just don’t pour it on the rocks or anything.

side note. Boiling rocks in this hobby can be dangerous. For future reference if you need to clean Rocks use a method that doesn’t involve heat. In your case, given it was dry the risk was low but I’d hate for this success to lead you to do it again later down the road.

love the Aquascape

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Smell?
Simply add chemipure blue to your system - many benefits plus odor eliminated

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they were my rocks...theyd be in a container of sw with phosphate remover and carbon to help leech out the bad b4 they went in the tank...u still have 2 weeks til xmas...

OP
OP
Bear_

Bear_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm not sure what to do without water. Typically carbon is what I’d say to use but not going to work here. Maybe open a thing if baking soda to absorb the smell? Just don’t pour it on the rocks or anything.

side note. Boiling rocks in this hobby can be dangerous. For future reference if you need to clean Rocks use a method that doesn’t involve heat. In your case, given it was dry the risk was low but I’d hate for this success to lead you to do it again later down the road.

love the Aquascape

I actually poured boiling water on it then just moved them to my basement I didn't actually boil it if that makes any difference.

I am kinda just trying to think of something where I don't need to rinse everything off and go through a cleaning process again. Was just curious if I sprayed some vinegar on a few rocks it wouldn't make much a difference once I start putting R/O salt water in to start the cycle or assumption that the vinegar will dissipate by then.

Dine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It
I actually poured boiling water on it then just moved them to my basement I didn't actually boil it if that makes any difference.

I am kinda just trying to think of something where I don't need to rinse everything off and go through a cleaning process again. Was just curious if I sprayed some vinegar on a few rocks it wouldn't make much a difference once I start putting R/O salt water in to start the cycle or assumption that the vinegar will dissipate by then.

it would not make a difference. In the future if you have palys on the rock and you use boiling water you steam any potential toxins. Palytoxin is rare and very few hobby related incidents but the incidents that do exist are almost always boiling water. Very dangerous stuff when you turn it into steam.

as to the vinegar. It won’t hurt anything It’s safe to use around reef tanks just don’t go overboard with it. In terms of the dead material that’s stinking. That’s going to break down once you add water and add nutrients into the tank. It will help start a cycle but it may cause algae issues later. Idk how much we are talking here but it’s something to consider. Might be worth your time to get it off ahead of time if it’s a lot.

Another Newbie Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they were my rocks...theyd be in a container of sw with phosphate remover and carbon to help leech out the bad b4 they went in the tank...u still have 2 weeks til xmas...
I think this is the best advice and pretty inexpensive too. 5g bucket, SW, powerhead, and a chemipure blue packet should fix your issue.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back