Can I put Torch corals in uncycled tank?

alishahlakhani

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a torch coral few days back and it's gonna arrive on friday. I was expecting my tank to be cycled soon but it doesn't seem the case anymore. I have Zoas and GSP in tank. Do you think my Torch has any chances of survival in this env? I do have bacteria to seed the tank which I've already been seeding.

Params:
Ammonia: 0
No2: 5ppm
No3: 5-6ppm

Please advicse

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a torch coral few days back and it's gonna arrive on friday. I was expecting my tank to be cycled soon but it doesn't seem the case anymore. I have Zoas and GSP in tank. Do you think my Torch has any chances of survival in this env? I do have bacteria to seed the tank which I've already been seeding.

Params:

Please advicse
Your nitrogen is ok. I’d worry more about other parameters. Sometimes newer tanks don’t keep corals well; survival rate being much lower. There are so many things happening in a reef tank during the first few months. I personally feel there is a second bacterial cycle where after the nitrogen cycle has completed, the microbiome fight begins. With many microbes fighting for their hold of the tank. This time can be a tough one for some corals.

inletfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Params:

Please advicse

check out reef builders one day nano build. he just hit 2.5 months on it no losses yet.

hes also an expert so. watch and listen carefully to the video.

coral doesnt necessairly need a cycled tank. i dropped some in 5 days after filling.

im not going to say its the best thing ever, but softies and lps will survive it usually

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being new and not knowing anything I put corals in early. Mine are all still fine 4months later. However, the one thing I will say is get a frag rack and keep them on there until the algae clears up some on your rocks. Corals, especially small frags don’t like algae all over them.

lilgrounchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always dump a bottle of BioSpria in there. Plenty of folks on here are using that to insta-cycle tanks and drop fish, corals, and anemones in right away without any issues.

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Congrats with the start of your new tank.

As long as ammonia is 0 I don’t see any problem. Try to keep alk, calc and mag stable. For the rest the easier LPS (like torch) will be okay in your new tank.

I saw someone mentioning to have coralline algae first. I have the feeling that you are asking whether it will survive untill your tank is ready. Imo it will as long as ammonia is 0. However, don’t expect the coral to thrive or grow.

You will see the coral growing and become stronger once you have good calcification processes going on (coralline algae growth). But this is not a requirement to make them survive.

Wouldn’t recommend to go the SPS road before stable parameters and calcification tho.

enjoy!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 130 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back