Can i RRR before i start TTM?

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to know if it would be a good idea to Ruby reef rally the fish before placement in QT for TTM? I wanted to do this since TTM doesn't treat velvet... What do you think?

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to know if it would be a good idea to Ruby reef rally the fish before placement in QT for TTM? I wanted to do this since TTM doesn't treat velvet... What do you think?

Yes, RRR is a great first treatment for all fish going into QT.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ruby reef rally is a good antiseptic bath for incoming fish, especially fish infested with parasites and at risk for infection.

But, it doesn’t actually treat velvet by itself. It *might* treat brook, but usually is suggested to do a follow-up treatment for that too.

OP
OP
P

PegasisR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ruby reef rally is a good antiseptic bath for incoming fish, especially fish infested with parasites and at risk for infection.

But, it doesn’t actually treat velvet by itself. It *might* treat brook, but usually is suggested to do a follow-up treatment for that too.

Follow up with what meds? Copper? If so how do you make sure its always stable at the ppm you would have it at?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up with what meds? Copper? If so how do you make sure its always stable at the ppm you would have it at?

There’s some controversy regarding prophylactic treatment vs. symptomatic. TTM doesn’t treat velvet, so if you want to do TTM as a preventative for ich and then observe for 2-3 weeks after, for signs of velvet... that would be a decent plan. If you see velvet crop up during observation, you would need to treat with either copper or CP.

If the goal is to prophylactically treat for BOTH ich and velvet, then it would probably be better to just skip TTM and treat with copper instead. But again, there is some controversy here since copper is a toxin and an immunosuppressant... some feel it’s best to be only used “as needed”.

I personally follow a QT method very similar to this one:
My Current QT Process
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...ds/My-Current-QT-Process.483371/&share_type=t

This schedule prophylactically treats for ich, velvet, brook, uronema, flukes, and internal parasites.

It’s aggressive, but I’ve had seemingly healthy fish sneak parasites into my tank into the past using observation-only QT, so I’ve adapted this process and have been pretty successful with it.

This is my opinion, but there are opinions a plenty about what is necessary and what is not, and they range from doing nothing at all (no QT, period) to my own.

Back