Can i run a calcium reactor rated higher for my tank?

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i found a guy selling a A.E tech media melter 600 calcium reactor that is rated for up too 600 gallons for an awesome price. i have a 90 gallon with over all water at 120 right now. i am planning on a external refuge and possibly a frag tank bumping it to about to about 180 gallons in the end. do you think i can do this or will i be over killing it and possibly never get it dialed in? any suggestions? thanks all

GPhiAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that if you accurately set the effluent or drip rate to maintain the desired Alk and Ca, you should be ok. It may take a little bit of playing with.

OP
OP
nater

nater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go ya , i am definitely not experienced with calcium reactors. the info on the a.e tech media melter looks like it is fairly decent.i know i need a controller and a co2 regulator. i have the co2 tank already. guess it would fall onto how dialed in i can get the unit to work for me. anyone have any experience with these calcium reactors?

reefdan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run a geo 618 on my 40b.

it takes some playing around with. i only run it 6 hours a day at a 60-70ish drip per minute drip rate.

juiceguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
the size of the reactor does not matter, if your reactor is rated for a much larger setup all that means is the media chamber holds that much more media and you will be re-filling the reactor less over time. all reactors work basically the same so once you get it "dialed in" it will require less maintenance from you. the only thing is a larger reactor probably uses a larger pump and may be an energy hog for your setup.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, its not a problem. You adjust your CO2 bubble count and effluent drip rate to match your conditions. Calcium and alkalinity test kits and a pH controller are the easiest way to get it dialed in right.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back