Can I run my sump constantly to stop gurgling?

99gtbaby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Bashea SS cube sump and right now I have the return pump from the sump set to auto, and whenever it shuts off it gurgles, what can I do to fix this? Can I run my return pump constantly, will it effect my skimmer and my ATO, which are also set to auto via a Neptune apex controller.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with the sump in question but I always have the return pumps running constantly on my systems. I'm curious, is running the pump intermitantly something in the instructions for the sump or is it something someone told you to do? And just FYI, most overflows will gurgle when returns are shut off and the water draining slows down and stops.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most sumps are designed to have return pumps run continuously unless needed to shut off for maintenance.

It's actually not the sump but the drain system that provides flow to sump that needs continuous flow or you get a gurgle as the pipe flow changes from full flow to empty.

OP
OP
99gtbaby

99gtbaby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with the sump in question but I always have the return pumps running constantly on my systems. I'm curious, is running the pump intermitantly something in the instructions for the sump or is it something someone told you to do? And just FYI, most overflows will gurgle when returns are shut off and the water draining slows down and stops.
The man that I bought the system from told me to set it up this way, but I’m going to be turning it to constant on.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The man that I bought the system from told me to set it up this way, but I’m going to be turning it to constant on.

Well, that's not the craziest thing I've heard but it's definitely a prescription for trouble. Definitely keep your return pump on all the time.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what the person who set it up said....If you only have one drain line. STOP! We'll need to dive into this a bit deeper before turning the pump on continuously. The person who set it up might not have done in a conventional way.

Justanano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why you would turn off unless maintenance

Gort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on what the person who set it up said....If you only have one drain line. STOP! We'll need to dive into this a bit deeper before turning the pump on continuously. The person who set it up might not have done in a conventional way.
Based on my very brief Google search, it look like that sump features a single drain.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm concerned that if there's only one drain line that you might not have a backup drain that provides either a trickle flow or the flow in case the first drain cannot handle the entire flow. Sometimes this is called the emergency drain because it prevents water from overflowing your aquarium.

If there's two drains, you're fine. If only one, the pump maybe set up to shut off to prevent an overflow.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on my very brief Google search, it look like that sump features a single drain.
Right but just because there's one main drain for a sock/filter doesn't mean a backup/trickle or emergency isn't plumbed.

Even if you were going to run only one (say older durso style), you would tune return flow with a valve on output or variable speed not shut pump off and on. And that's assuming not plumbing an emergency which is never done.

Unless I'm just completely missing something in drain design here.

OP
OP
99gtbaby

99gtbaby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue has been solved, there was a switch that was knocked out of position, fixed it and now the pump is no longer shutting off

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back