Can I see some salinity screen shots from everyone's Apex ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I see some salinity screen shots from everyone's Apex ? Not sure if this is a useful tool at this point. Here is my screen shot.
If my salinity actually did this daily, I would not expect anything to be doing very well in my tank.
IMG_3345.PNG

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn’t be doing that, that’s of course assuming your actuality not getting such fluctuations in the tank from for example and ATO topping up very close to the sensor or other reason.

Try cleaning and recalibrating it and also make sure there are no wires around the probe that could be interfering with the its signal/readings.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn’t be doing that, that’s of course assuming your actuality not getting such fluctuations in the tank from for example and ATO topping up very close to the sensor or other reason.

Try cleaning and re-calibrating it and also make sure there are no wires around the probe that could be interfering with the its signal/readings.
The calibration process fails every time. I need to get more salinity calibration fluid asap. The unit is only two weeks old the salinity probe has been doing this from the beginning. The probe is clean ( as its new ) my system is 850 gallons and my ATO is 2 chambers down from salinity probe, so impossible for ATO to go against current as the sump runs 6000 GPH. There is a good amount of power lines around the wire ( not the probe ) as my heater is 220 volt 5000 watt commercial heater from Process Technology. Also my Chiller is 220volt as its a 3 HP chiller from Tradewinds.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The calibration process fails every time. I need to get more salinity calibration fluid asap. The unit is only two weeks old the salinity probe has been doing this from the beginning. The probe is clean ( as its new ) my system is 850 gallons and my ATO is 2 chambers down from salinity probe, so impossible for ATO to go against current as the sump runs 6000 GPH. There is a good amount of power lines around the wire ( not the probe ) as my heater is 220 volt 5000 watt commercial heater from Process Technology. Also my Chiller is 220volt as its a 3 HP chiller from Tradewinds.
Try and move some of the power lines if you can to eliminate that

ok calibration. This is Shaun’s ‘how to calibrate the stupid apex probe so it actually works‘ guide……

Get the tank to a salinity reading of 35 from something your confident it’s reasonably accurate. I use the Hanna salinity checker

Then start the manual calibration but when it says put the probe in the solution. Put it back into the tank and wiggle it around to get rid of any micro bubbles. Leave several minutes between each stage before proceeding to allow the numbers to stabilise

Then finish and it should read similar to your ‘trusted’ Hanna or whatever you use.

Mine never ever worked with the solution for whatever reason……. I don’t trust it for anything other than just monitoring

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try and move some of the power lines if you can to eliminate that

ok calibration. This is Shaun’s ‘how to calibrate the stupid apex probe so it actually works‘ guide……

Get the tank to a salinity reading of 35 from something your confident it’s reasonably accurate. I use the Hanna salinity checker

Then start the manual calibration but when it says put the probe in the solution. Put it back into the tank and wiggle it around to get rid of any micro bubbles. Leave several minutes between each stage before proceeding to allow the numbers to stabilise

Then finish and it should read similar to your ‘trusted’ Hanna or whatever you use.

Mine never ever worked with the solution for whatever reason……. I don’t trust it for anything other than just monitoring
220 volt lines are impossible to move as they are in conduit and attached to the studs.

With temps now steady in the ambient area, neither my chiller or my heater is running this last two weeks. so not sure where this daily drop and nightly reset spike is coming from.

Thanks for the Calibration solution idea. ( Skipping it ) lol. I have two very reliable methods true and tested for many years to be dead on. I will camibrate with sump water tonight, instead of the calibration fluid.

Lets see more screen shots of successful Apex salinity probes. Need a benchmark of what to expect from this device.

Last edited:

Benpastw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My salinity probe is the most aggravating part of my tank, I check it with a refractometer and it’s dead set accurate to what I want but the apex and probe is all over the place (get alerts to my phone constantly) to the point I’m just going to take it out as it’s really not needed. I even tried that device from vivid aquatics I think it was that attaches to the bottom and pushes flow at it to get rid of the micro bubbles and that was a waste of money as it hasn’t changed anything either, IMO I’d just take it out.

Benpastw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yep I tried that, it never worked, bought that and the recommended pump and it’s still all over the place, I might try inverting the probe if that doesn’t work I’ll just take it out Entirely, love my apex but that salinity probe needs some work

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the screen shot !!! Do you think these readings are accurate ?
Yes, below is my GHL salinity probe. I check them both against a calibrated Refractometer. For the most part, they stay pretty stable throughout the day.

Screenshot (320).png

Hectaka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty new and don't have anything living in my tank yet but I've been monitoring salinity for awhile. Here's 3 days when I wasn't messing with something.
Screenshot_20211207-175507_APEX Fusion.jpg

I've tested against a handheld meter and they're both very consistent.

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont pay attention to the Salinity at all, super inaccurate. I always get these massive spikes, both up and down. Will stick with my Hannah Tester.

apex1.png

apex2.png

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine stays fairly consistent but like others I do get the occasional impossible spike, although rarely. I use water I made for calibration and not the packets anymore.
Screenshot_20211207-194727_APEX Fusion.jpg

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this is very disappointing, Salinity worthless, Orp not needed, PH and temp already monitored by much more reliable devises.
Anyone want to buy a 3 week old Apex?
I already control my reef through Home automation Control 4... Bullet proof on a military level, not hobby grade.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still relatively new to apex, but honestly I think without a trident and dos I wouldn't have been real impressed. I do love automated dosing though.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this is very disappointing, Salinity worthless, Orp not needed, PH and temp already monitored by much more reliable devises.
Anyone want to buy a 3 week old Apex?
I already control my reef through Home automation Control 4... Bullet proof on a military level, not hobby grade.
I gotta know... I'm a C4 geek and have everything (except my tank) controlled by C4...
How did you do it? Please PM me or post a link.
Are you using controlled outlets or are you using drivers to automate another way... Please share!

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta know... I'm a C4 geek and have everything (except my tank) controlled by C4...
How did you do it? Please PM me or post a link.
Are you using controlled outlets or are you using drivers to automate another way... Please share!
Dosing controlled by outlets, Kessil lighting controlled dimmer switches, color and intensity. Kark stirrer by outlet timer, low sump, high sump, auto top off, main pumps are controlled through a C4 motor relay, overflow triggers in tanks, will shut off pumps send texts and turn house lights on in any emergency. skimmer wiper motor. RODI filling and transfer, salt water drum refills. Auto water change.
All Control 4. not one time ever has anything ever failed. I tried to link Kessil and Control 4 but they didn’t bite
I’m sure there is more.

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock on!! That's way smart! I was thinking through how best to do it without it being piecemeal... looks like that works just as well.
I have drivers for most everything controlled by C4 and was hoping that I could use that route through Neptune and APIs to control through C4. I'm betting your way is much more reliable and stable.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back