Can I start my refugium before I set up the main tank?

Tom Giddens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 210 gal with overflows and I am still buying all the parts before I set it up. I have everything for my 40 gal refugium and I want to start it now and put it online after the main tank is set up and cycled. Are there any reasons why I should not do this? I plan on adding live sand and a ciculation pump and a little fish food to get the process going and then add more pods and macro algae after the cycle is done.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait. Setting up a refugium before your cycle can actually cause your cycle to take longer as the chaeto takes up nutrients. I would wait until after cycle, and after you've added a fish or two to keep the chaeto fed with nutrients.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am of two minds on this. It depends.

If you are using rock, sand or mud and waiting on macros, yes you can and I would bet it would shorten or completely mitigate a full on cycle when you setup the main display.

If you are just using macros then no, @Crabs Mcjones is absolutely right.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to add: I am running a small tank that will be a display fuge after the big tank goes online just for this reason. Right now, it's sand, rock and frags. The uglies are just about over. (The frags got handed to me otherwise they wouldn't be in there yet)

I will put macros and pull the frags when the big cube is wet.

DFR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work out fine. The only problem I could have foreseen was nutrients to “feed” the algae, but the fish should be able to handle that.
My only advice would be to not connect the refugium to the main display until the entire cycle is finished. This way all the necessary bacteria will have a chance to populate.

OP
OP
Tom Giddens

Tom Giddens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work out fine. The only problem I could have foreseen was nutrients to “feed” the algae, but the fish should be able to handle that.
My only advice would be to not connect the refugium to the main display until the entire cycle is finished. This way all the necessary bacteria will have a chance to populate.
That is exa

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back