Can I store fish in a bucket for 5 days?

StealthJett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am moving apartments here soon. It’s only down the road but there is a 5 day gap between when the current lease ends and the new one begins. I’ll be heading to a family members home ~1 hour away during this time. I don’t want to have to tear down and set up my tank twice so could I leave my two clowns in the bucket for the five days. I mean they’ll be in the house, Inkbird connected heater, and have an air stone. I’m open to suggestions for my live rock as well. Not exactly sure how to tackle that but I have a few ideas. Lastly for the rebuild of the tank I have new sand and could save some old sand to re-seed.

Brice Wagner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see what experts say but I think information for qt set ups could help you. For sure get ammonia alert badges and be ready to do water changes.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you can put some cycled media/rock in with them?

otherwise, be prepared to do water changes to keep ammonia down and water quality up.

I would probably go get a larger bin/reservoir than 5g, if possible. how about a larger rubbermade bin?

Eazy E

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be ok. I used to use 5 gallon buckets with air stones to do tank transfers. I would at least change the water halfway through

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is going in the bucket with them?

live rock? corals?

I had issues from die off when live rock in a bucket that was getting light previously in a tank.. no longer was. I would not keep fish in there with rock that is covered in organisms used to receiving light if they no longer will be.

a.ocellaris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept two full grown ocellaris clowns in a 5 gallon bucket for about 3 days. I had a small seeded sponge filter with an air pump while moving from FL. It’s doable. Like others said, watch for ammonia. I’d probably set up a temporary holding tank (tote or something similar) until your tank is set up in your new place. It will probably do a mini cycle again from the move.

Gedxin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done a move like this, but from what I've read, heater/airstone should be sufficient. It's been suggested to not feed them the day before and until they're in the new tank - to keep poop/ammonia low. They'll be fine not eating for 5 days.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 3 years ago I moved from Arizona to Florida, and my 20g tank stayed in 4 buckets for about 2 weeks.

I have an outlet in my suv, so I used it for an air pump that went into the buckets. I drilled a hole in the lids to run the air hose in, loose enough that air also went out the sides. If you put an air stone on the other side, it will never slide out. Never had any trouble with them doing that anyway though.

I took the buckets into my rooms at night, and I would put nicrew led light bars over them, and throw in a powerhead.

Worked fine, but my corals were easy to keep and so were my fish. I don't think a SPS would make it, or more sensitive fish.

OP
OP
S

StealthJett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow thanks everyone for the responses. I have my 2 ocellaris and that’s it. I have one big rockwork structure glued together. I have a bag of bio balls I could put in there with them or one of the filtration sponges.

OP
OP
S

StealthJett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on putting the live rock in a different bucket btw. Scared they’ll get hurt if it shifts with them in the same bucket. If the rockwork needs light I can probably manage that and get it some light. These buckets can be stationary indoors for the five days. My family member is totally fine with it.

OP
OP
S

StealthJett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance you can put some cycled media/rock in with them?

otherwise, be prepared to do water changes to keep ammonia down and water quality up.

I would probably go get a larger bin/reservoir than 5g, if possible. how about a larger rubbermade bin?
Have a bag of bio balls that has been in the tank for a year. Same with some of the filter sponge? Can’t do the rubbermaid

OP
OP
S

StealthJett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is going in the bucket with them?

live rock? corals?

I had issues from die off when live rock in a bucket that was getting light previously in a tank.. no longer was. I would not keep fish in there with rock that is covered in organisms used to receiving light if they no longer will be.
Nothing. Separate buckets for live rock and the clowns. I can probably expose the live rock to light, maybe hang my hydra over it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Better off with a rubbermaid type container/tub

1655855288568.png

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on putting the live rock in a different bucket btw. Scared they’ll get hurt if it shifts with them in the same bucket. If the rockwork needs light I can probably manage that and get it some light. These buckets can be stationary indoors for the five days. My family member is totally fine with it.

You shouldn't have troubles.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said, it’s fine. I do a good portion of my QT process in buckets (tank transfer method, up to 3 days at a time), no losses ever with that method - and these are fish that are stressed out.

Get a thing of amquel and an ammonia badge, no problem as long as you manage oxygen and temp.

P.S. I prefer little 70 gph or so fountain pumps vs air stones. A little tidier, quieter, good circulation, less evaporation. You can grab a USB one for $10 and combined with a phone charging brick it’s a viable power outage solution for your display as well.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 35 81.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.7%
Back