Can I take out this piece of rock.

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been wanting to take out this big piece of slate rock that’s in the middle of my tank because I just want to have separation of rocks so I can do a eupheyllia garden on the left. My question is will this disturb anything in the tank. The rock I am talking about is the one on the top.

DEF44BAE-1CB3-4CD5-9C74-77312835167F.jpeg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's how much rock I predict we could remove and still carry all your fish and corals above based on pic details:

all of it.

:) meaning the sand and water contact alone, in that much water in a low bioload and feed, will be fine. have seen lfs do this about 260 times in non-plumbed holding tanks.

if the fish were large/packed that'd be different, its not. You specifically would not crash the reef by removing the rocks in that specific picture above, the bioload isn't all that strong. if nobody believes me on this at least ask the lfs owner to see if they've ever used sand alone as contact surface area. ive seen corals sit in sand holding tanks with fish until they dropped new offshoots/growth via light and daily feed etc

am aware none of this sounds believable that's why its fun science to double check
we know you aren't going to remove it all, any degree you'd like to remove w be ok

OP
OP
xnaz

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think you should be just fine. Gonna say though i really like how you have it!
Really I just don’t like the look of sps up there do you think I can make that rock full of eupheyllia.

OP
OP
xnaz

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's how much rock I predict we could remove and still carry all your fish and corals above based on pic details:

all of it.

:) meaning the sand and water contact alone, in that much water in a low bioload and feed, will be fine. have seen lfs do this about 260 times in non-plumbed holding tanks.

if the fish were large/packed that'd be different, its not. You specifically would not crash the reef by removing the rocks in that specific picture above, the bioload isn't all that strong. if nobody believes me on this at least ask the lfs owner to see if they've ever used sand alone as contact surface area. ive seen corals sit in sand holding tanks with fish until they dropped new offshoots/growth via light and daily feed etc

am aware none of this sounds believable that's why its fun science to double check
we know you aren't going to remove it all, any degree you'd like to remove w be ok
Awesome thanks for the info.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really I just don’t like the look of sps up there do you think I can make that rock full of eupheyllia.

Definitely all personal preference I am confident you will end up with it looking nice either way. If it were me though and I wanted a eupheyllia patch I would clear out the front left of the tank and about halfway up that mound on the left (stopping before you get up to the arch piece across). Keeping the arch for sps and then gives you a shaded are below for low light or NPS corals if you want it.

Again though I just saying I like what you got now!

OP
OP
xnaz

xnaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely all personal preference I am confident you will end up with it looking nice either way. If it were me though and I wanted a eupheyllia patch I would clear out the front left of the tank and about halfway up that mound on the left (stopping before you get up to the arch piece across). Keeping the arch for sps and then gives you a shaded are below for low light or NPS corals if you want it.

Again though I just saying I like what you got now!
Ok that sounds nice I’ll see if I’ll move stuff around. Thanks for reply.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back