Can I treat for bubble algae and dinos at the same time?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some of both bubble algae and dinos. The bubble algae has been difficult to keep in check, so I started treating with Vibrant. I also have an issue with dinos. It's not horrible yet. Since hydrogen peroxide daily is part of treating for dinos, is it OK for me to do this at the same time, or will it effect the vibrant or put too much additional stress on the corals?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a risk if youre doing a non rip clean method, agreed. we have a ten page thread of 100% vibrant tank kills. its called vibrant killed my corals. and then of course it works for some, you accept the risk by choosing an indirect means.

if you are doing a disassembly cleaning, that takes care of dinos and the bubble algae is treated directly on the rocks vs via the water, where things have to wait a long time and can be placed out of balance.

in a smaller tank, you can't beat a deep cleaning.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

case in point

that is the safest method possible, and the most effective altogether. anything other than that method is less safe, less effective per ten runs.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

case in point

that is the safest method possible, and the most effective altogether. anything other than that method is less safe, less effective per ten runs.
Your method always seems to be the best. I keep my old steak knife in the cabinet and use it when I can! Unfortunately, I can't take out the rock and there are a lot of corals on it. I am also concerned about an emerald crab eating my zoas as well as the bubble algae after the things people have told me. I deep cleaned some areas, but obviously that won't cure it. I put in the vibrant and was ready for a big water change if things went badly, but it seems ok so far. I little unhappiness from the corals, but nothing too bad. (ps thanks for the link!)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brandon429 I forgot add this to my previous reply. I feel sure it is, but I will ask. Don't you think this must be dinos? Basically brown snot blobs that grow in places around the rock and some frags. But no bubbles and does not really get on the sand. If I suck it up with a baster, it breaks into pieces that mostly stick together like, well, snot would.
1627592954521.png

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's rather fascinating, haven't seen anything express like that, rip it out of ever wanted lol yep

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back