Can I treat prophylactically for brook/uronema without food-soaking, formalin, or CP?

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish's quarantine protocol and BRS video on quarantining for Brook & Uronema have rather conflicting advice about prophylactic treatments for brook/uronema. In summary:
BRS videoHumblefish
Food-soaking with metroSecond best option in quarantineNo (symptomatic infections only)
Dosing metro in QTNoYes
Formalin dipsBest option in quarantineNo (symptomatic infections only)
Chloroquine PhosphateIs an optionYes

Unfeasible options:
  • @Jay Hemdal told me food-soaking can't be done easily. Since I'd be medicating prophylactically, I wouldn't really be able to tell if it's working.
  • Formalin dips are difficult to do safely, especially in a two-room apartment (☣️I'm talking about MY safety☣️).
  • I got a prescription for chloroquine phosphate - pharmacy says CP by Bayer has been discontinued in 2019, and they can't get the raw CP for an officinal preparation. Apparently, we can thank COVID for that too.
Questions:
#fishmedics, I realise I'm ruling out 3 options, but I'd like to check with you that I've considered all possible options.
  1. Is it possible to treat prophylactically for Brook/Uronema without food-soaking, formalin dips, or chloroquine phosphate?
  2. Or am I asking for the moon?
  3. Will dosing Metro in the QT do much against potential Brook/uronema infection?
  4. I'm planning to get a bunch of chromis for my 90G. What would you do if you were me?
As always, thanks for the all information you share with us.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the likelihood for successfully treating for uronema prophylactically is remote, and chromis are highly susceptible.

I believe I would QT with copper and prazi per the current protocol and observe for Brook during that time rather than treating with formalin or metro before an infection is observed.

@Jay Hemdal may have more insight into this question.

OP
OP
Muffin87

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish's quarantine protocol and BRS video on quarantining for Brook & Uronema have rather conflicting advice about prophylactic treatments for brook/uronema. In summary:
BRS videoHumblefish
Food-soaking with metroSecond best option in quarantineNo (symptomatic infections only)
Dosing metro in QTNoYes
Formalin dipsBest option in quarantineNo (symptomatic infections only)
Chloroquine PhosphateIs an optionYes

Unfeasible options:
  • @Jay Hemdal told me food-soaking can't be done easily. Since I'd be medicating prophylactically, I wouldn't really be able to tell if it's working.
  • Formalin dips are difficult to do safely, especially in a two-room apartment (☣️I'm talking about MY safety☣️).
  • I got a prescription for chloroquine phosphate - pharmacy says CP by Bayer has been discontinued in 2019, and they can't get the raw CP for an officinal preparation. Apparently, we can thank COVID for that too.
Questions:
#fishmedics, I realise I'm ruling out 3 options, but I'd like to check with you that I've considered all possible options.
  1. Is it possible to treat prophylactically for Brook/Uronema without food-soaking, formalin dips, or chloroquine phosphate?
  2. Or am I asking for the moon?
  3. Will dosing Metro in the QT do much against potential Brook/uronema infection?
  4. I'm planning to get a bunch of chromis for my 90G. What would you do if you were me?
As always, thanks for the all information you share with us.
Hi, I’m on my phone at my boat this weekend, so is tough for me to write a full answer:
I think it is an error to lump Brook and Uronema into the same category.
Overall, I like the BRS options. Metro in food can help with Brook at 5000 ppm in food, but most fish find that bitter.
Chloroquine in the water won’t cure Uronema but will help control the spread from fish to fish.
Jay

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t agree with your inference of Humblefish’s advice. Here are sources that prove my point from Humblefish himself:

Any fish you suspect is carrying Uronema should get a 45-60 minute formalin bath before entering your DT or QT.

Here’s another article of his made specifically to uronema:
Treatment of choice is a 45 minute formalin bath (e.g. Quick Cure), followed by transfer into a new/sterile QT.
Once in QT, it is very important to do followup treatment to ensure all of the parasites have been eliminated. This can be accomplished by dosing and food soaking metronidazole (e.g. Seachem Metroplex) for 10-14 days.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t agree with your inference of Humblefish’s advice. Here are sources that prove my point from Humblefish himself:

Using formalin prophylacticly is good course of action to limit Uronema spreading to other fish. However, I have only had it actually save fish when used on the external form seen in sea dragons (probably a different species). I have never cured a case of intercellular Uronema in a fish.
Jay

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Agree, he literally just recommended a formalin bath for my anthias two days ago. HF has never steered me wrong and always gives clear consistent advice. He’s the best, I wouldn’t even bother to compare to a BRS marketing video.

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using formalin prophylacticly is good course of action to limit Uronema spreading to other fish. However, I have only had it actually save fish when used on the external form seen in sea dragons (probably a different species). I have never cured a case of intercellular Uronema in a fish.
Jay
I do agree with you on this. Formalin baths do not work for fish that are already infected with uronema. It mainly can help prevent transmission.

I personally have seen the best results with food soaking metro.

OP
OP
Muffin87

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for this, I wasn't looking at the forum, and I wasn't able to find anything this clear.

How do you people protect yourself from formalin fumes?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this, I wasn't looking at the forum, and I wasn't able to find anything this clear.

How do you people protect yourself from formalin fumes?

That is a big issue in homes. Formalin de-gasses over time, and it enters the room air. There is not a good way to limit exposure. That is why most aquarium medications no longer contain it. We use NIOSH approved respirators when using large amounts of it, but we rely on room air exchange to limit workplace exposure.

In the end, I use MUCH less formalin than I did 30 or 40 years ago. Indeed, I don't think I've used it at all in the past four years except as a dip which was then poured down the drain.

Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back