Can I use a 1 Inch Threaded/Slip union on Varios 2 pump?

Huff747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I picked up a used Varios 2 and it didn't arrive with either union (or float switch, float switch holder, or controller mount for that matter). But my main concern/question is can I order a 1 inch threaded/slip union or do I have to track down one of the unions from CoralVue? They only seem to sell and input output set for $35 so was hoping I could buy a single $9 union since I don't need the rest.

Thanks for any input.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not fimiler with that pump however, My guess is no you can't, unless the pump body is a 1" thread and you are replacing the complete union. Even then most pump manufacturers use european pipe threads, which have the same number of threads per inch, but a slightly different thread shape. You can use amarican pipe threads with a little teflon paste to make sure they seal. Even in the US 1" unions are not all the same. The ones typicaly on pumps do not match any of the ones sold at plumbing suppliers. The unions sold by Home Depot this week may be different than what they have a year from now and are different from what Lowes, Ace and plumbing suppliers carry in my experience. Take your pump shopping with you and try your luck.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they charge 35 dollars for a union and 35 dollars for the impeller? WOW Hopefully I will have time tomorrow to look at my pump and let you know.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So on my 3500 which is the varios4 that I got used, also did not have the top union. My thread was actually a metric thread 32mm I believe. I purchased a PVC thread cutter from amazon and recut the threads for a 1" threaded union. worked like a charm.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back