Can I use a Jebao Koi Pond UV Sterilizer for my Reefer-170?

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Folks,

I really want to install a UV Sterilizer on my Reefer 170 but man they're expensive, any problem using a
Jebao 36W Aquarium Koi Fish Pond UV Light Sterilizer

1605036563392.png

Seems a bit big for my 40ish gallon tank but you really can't over-sterilize your water can you? So I'm thinking, inexpensive ($79) and powerful, sounds good no? Any feedback would be appreciated.

ajjw0828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one on my tank. No problem. I have seen people review these and say that over time when they take it apart around that year mark to replace the bulb there is a black residue that seems to be from the breakdown of the plastic due to the UV. In those cases I never saw where it hurt the tank though. I'm at about the point where I need to take mine apart and replace the bulb so we will see. So far I have no issues with it all though and would recommend you get.

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BUMP

Is this such a dumb idea nobody want's to tell me...LOL??

Why do you think this is a dumb idea, or maybe I got that wrong...lol I just posted a few pictures of my UV setup on my build a thread. Hope this helps. I am glad I installed the UV, wish I would have planned this from the beginning.

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just bought one of these and the instructions say to install in horizontally....when I watched BRS videos on UV sterilizers, they say to install vertically to avoid air Locke and reduce use ...is that model specific ..trying to determine how to install properly

OP
OP
NJBillyV

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just watched the same video and I am still not spending $300+ on a UV unit for my 43 gallon tank.

I'd be inclined to install it vertically just like BRS says. Maybe when you use it on a Koi pond there are other considerations, but for saltwater I'm going vertically.

I am going to have to research proper flow rates. One thing I do know, the slower the flow the more stuff it's going to kill, that I'm sure of. Another thing I'm sure of, it goes in from Day #1! I'm not going to wait for a problem then stick on in.

Anyone with some experience with UV units care to offer an opinion??

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it needs to be filled with water (Horizonatal installed with the water nozzles pointed up) to run optimal and perhaps prevent the forming of an open air space inside the light tube that increases the plastic to being exposed to air, ozone, and decay because of it?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it needs to be filled with water (Horizonatal installed with the water nozzles pointed up) to run optimal and perhaps prevent the forming of an open air space inside the light tube that increases the plastic to being exposed to air, ozone, and decay because of it?
Thats pretty much how the review was summed up too.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just took one off of my 55 and replaced it with a pentair. I had taken it off to replace the bulb and realized that the quartz sleeve needed cleaning. When I removed the whole unit and took it outside I tilted it to remove the remaining water and out poured a black liquid. It really freaked me out. I then proceeded to take the fittings off to inspect the inside and rubbed my finger along the inside of the unit and my finger was coated in a black slime. It looked like the uv had broken down the plastic. I tried rinsing it out but it wouldn't come clean. I ended up dumping the whole unit because I would never feel comfortable having it on my tank not knowing what it is putting into the tank. It is definitely a case of you get what you pay for in my opinion.

OP
OP
NJBillyV

NJBillyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ust took one off of my 55 and replaced it with a pentair. I had taken it off to replace the bulb and realized that the quartz sleeve needed cleaning. When I removed the whole unit and took it outside I tilted it to remove the remaining water and out poured a black liquid. It really freaked me out. I then proceeded to take the fittings off to inspect the inside and rubbed my finger along the inside of the unit and my finger was coated in a black slime. It looked like the uv had broken down the plastic. I tried rinsing it out but it wouldn't come clean. I ended up dumping the whole unit because I would never feel comfortable having it on my tank not knowing what it is putting into the tank. It is definitely a case of you get what you pay for in my opinion.

WOW! Thanks for the heads up. Well that option is off the table, looks like I may just have to spend $300 after all.

I've spend a lot of time making sure my tank was free of unknown things there's no way I'm going to risk some cheap PVC crap leaching out into it. I swear, every time I try to save a little money it never works out. I guess I should know by now.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
WOW! Thanks for the heads up. Well that option is off the table, looks like I may just have to spend $300 after all.

I've spend a lot of time making sure my tank was free of unknown things there's no way I'm going to risk some cheap PVC crap leaching out into it. I swear, every time I try to save a little money it never works out. I guess I should know by now.
I'm glad to help. I don't know if the plastic leaching into my tank is harmless but it's a risk I'm not going to take. I found a video from fishofhex on utube with the same thing happening. You might want to check it out.

blooper01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Periha 36W UV submersible lamps in a chamber right before the return chamber of my sump. The water is medium/low flow in there and works just fine. I leave it on 24/7 and it lights up my entire sump area if I don't have the cover over the chamber.

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there seems to be conflicting language on installing sterilizers vertically or horizontally. I just bought the Jeabo 55W Pond Sterilizer and need to install it today. How are others installing this particular model? Vertical or Horizontal?...does it matter?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mounted mine horizontally with the nipples up. My thinking is this. If the UV feed pump dies, but the UV bulb is still running, the water could drain out of the UV if mounted vertically. The bulb would get hot and possibly crack if the pump were turned back on.

I also had the black stuff come off the jebao after about 6 months of use. I run an Aqua UV unit now.

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mounted mine horizontally with the nipples up. My thinking is this. If the UV feed pump dies, but the UV bulb is still running, the water could drain out of the UV if mounted vertically. The bulb would get hot and possibly crack if the pump were turned back on.

I also had the black stuff come off the jebao after about 6 months of use. I run an Aqua UV unit now.
thanks for the info. I figured if I have the black residue down the road, I would just upgrade also. In regards to the mounting, I read that sometimes mounting horizontally creates a air pocket, where the UV would be useless when that occurs. I read this on BRS but it was for a different model...just wondering if that is consistent across all UV's?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the info. I figured if I have the black residue down the road, I would just upgrade also. In regards to the mounting, I read that sometimes mounting horizontally creates a air pocket, where the UV would be useless when that occurs. I read this on BRS but it was for a different model...just wondering if that is consistent across all UV's?
I believe with the standard design, you might get small air pockets when mounted horizontally. But, as long as the bulb itself is not in that air pocket, the UV unit would be fine. I just checked the instruction manual for my UV and you can mount either way. Good luck.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I mounted mine horizontally with the outlet side about an inch higher than the inlet side. That way there's no way for air to collect in the unit. If a small air bubble collects in the very end it comes out after a short time due to the pressure of the water pushing through the unit.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back