Can I use a Jebao Koi Pond UV Sterilizer for my Reefer-170?

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took my 55w Jebao UV offline because it was leaking black stuff. I smelled it and it was not an organic smell, it smelled like burnt plastic. Turns out I am not alone. I'm throwing this one in the trash. I think the platic is not UV resistant and breaks down.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just took my 55w Jebao UV offline because it was leaking black stuff. I smelled it and it was not an organic smell, it smelled like burnt plastic. Turns out I am not alone. I'm throwing this one in the trash. I think the platic is not UV resistant and breaks down.
Good move. It kinda freaked me out to see the black liquid that came out of mine when I took it apart!

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be related or unrelated, but I had 1 Acro recently start to STN. I use this UV light periodically in the DT to help with algae/bacterial mat issues so its been running for about a week and within that time this acro, which I have had for years, decided to die on me. all other acros, fish and corals seem okay.

Again, not trying to be alarming, as this may well be a coincident.

Beefyreefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have the big boy 55 watt jebao pond UV on my 200gal system. It’s so far been awesome and I figure at $89 it’s a steel. I can buy a new one every year for 6 years before I get to the purchase price of a pentair UV. It’s a no brainer IMO.

Lex_510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! Thanks for the heads up. Well that option is off the table, looks like I may just have to spend $300 after all.

I've spend a lot of time making sure my tank was free of unknown things there's no way I'm going to risk some cheap PVC crap leaching out into it. I swear, every time I try to save a little money it never works out. I guess I should know by now.
I’ve tried the 5 watts Tetra pond UV years ago in my freshwater 120g no issues, they have a *** Stainless Steel Reflective Inner Sleeve in the Body - Increases UV Exposure and Prevents Internal UV Degradation. ***

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using one of these units on a 125 reef tank and one on a 90 African cichlid tank. 36 watts is overkill, but the quality of the light emitted by the bulb tends to deteriorate in a matter of a few months, so I figure I will be able to go longer between bulb changes. Most of the available products, including the Jebao use the same replacement uv bulbs, and most rely on an external water pump (e.g. sump return), so the only difference is the casing and internal sleeve. The only noise emitted is due to the water flow and perhaps air bubbles that have not purged from the canister. I've not checked on the black slime others mentioned yet. After seeing how these are constructed, I'm thinking about building my own casing using pvc pipe and fittings if I ever need to replace. Should be pretty straight forward.

I have mine mounted horizontally because it was easier for me in the space I had available, but I can't forsee a problem with vertical mount other than the concern that the unit might run dry and create a fire hazard.

I am sold on UV as a way to kill bacteria and algae that's in the water column and contributing to cloudy water. I also believe it will help reduce (but not eliminate the population of other parasites in the water column such as ich.

Interesting information at this website UV Sterilizer . The article was written for a fresh water aquarium website, but I think it is just as relevant to saltwater.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did read through pages, so unsure if this was already said, but these have a history of melting and breaking down in salt water. I believe there was a thread a week or so ago attesting to this. Fairly sure it was discovered after some mortalities

HJ99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have one of these I bought for our pond. Only used it a short while and went with a pressure filter with an integrated UV. I was figuring on using it but now just one more questionable piece of the puzzle. We are just getting started with this and one thing i have learned. EVERYTHING is way more than pond stuff. The wife is set on having a reef aquarium. I told her maybe we should just put some goldfish in it and call it a day. LOL

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back