Can I use a led light that grows plants for my reef tank?!

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m gonna try it out because I have no choice I’m not buying a 1000 dollar light I can’t at the moment houses in ny will do that to you...anyways I’m gonna try and use it I hope I don’t loose 5 grand worth of coral wish me luck fellas I’ll be back in a week with update
What size tank are you lighting?

Who said you need a Thousand dollar light?

Viparspectar 165's will grow about anything.

My 120 ran on two Chinese black boxes for 5 years

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, if I didn’t have another option I’d try it. Definitely better than being in the dark.
I’m in the dark now well the left side is my one Kessler has the right but I’ve lost 2 corals so far a trachy that was beautiful and a Scoly I had for 2 years so I’m kinda screwed just horrible timing

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I’m gonna try it out because I have no choice I’m not buying a 1000 dollar light I can’t at the moment houses in ny will do that to you...anyways I’m gonna try and use it I hope I don’t loose 5 grand worth of coral wish me luck fellas I’ll be back in a week with update
Run for veg not flower does it have the labeled veg on flower on switches? If so just flick the veg on.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 41

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it was just on a high setting? What if I leave it on very low and see how they react this light can get very powerful
You've got A bunch of dissenting opinions and are already saying you are going to do it because you don't have another choice.

Do it homie. Let us know how it works. I hope it does for you. Just don't think it will equally replace a light purpose built for growing coral.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ty for all the input btw means a lot since I been doing this 6 years and watching this fall apart plus I need to move it in 5 days so I’m sure I’ll lose some things during the move as well

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've got A bunch of dissenting opinions and are already saying you are going to do it because you don't have another choice.

Do it homie. Let us know how it works. I hope it does for you. Just don't think it will equally replace a light purpose built for growing coral.
I wasn't running vipers. They were $50 no name boxes and worked. Still do actually. They are over my frag tank now.

Could you be blaming the light for something that is happening because of another factor?
Watcha talking about? LOL maybe the other factor is the left side of my tank has been in the dark ? Idk if your able to read but I’ve said that ....

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start at 25 percent intensity on the knob and up it if you have to. Ive never used that model so I'm not sure how the digital display works but whatever settings come up on the display go for veg settings on 25% intensity those grow lights are really strong. Ive studied photosynthesis for a long time, (horticulturalist) the biggest difference between grow lights and reef light is actinic pop and flower settings. Grow lights will have a high par low colour temp setting for flower to replicate the end of the growing season and force flowering. Veg is very similar to shallow water, its the same sun, the water doesn't change the spectrum much at 50 feet or less

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like you have already heard red or pink is not good you will start a green hair algea farm or other unwanted algea
They do have saltwater tank lights 125 or so my fish store uses them.

OP
OP
F

frizzayyyyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start at 25 percent intensity on the knob and up it if you have to. Ive never used that model so I'm not sure how the digital display works but whatever settings come up on the display go for veg settings on 25% intensity those grow lights are really strong. Ive studied photosynthesis for a long time, (horticulturalist) the biggest difference between grow lights and reef light is actinic pop and flower settings. Grow lights will have a high par low colour temp setting for flower to replicate the end of the growing season and force flowering. Veg is very similar to shallow water, its the same sun, the water doesn't change the spectrum much at 50 feet or less
Ok so you obviously know what your talking about lol ty sir ! So your saying there’s a shot ? I wanna switch over to sps but do you think these lights will look weird compared to kesslers ? Like what’s the water gonna look like ? Stupid ?

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watcha talking about? LOL maybe the other factor is the left side of my tank has been in the dark ? Idk if your able to read but I’ve said that ....
It’s just the way you worded the last post, it sounded at first like you were saying it’s been falling apart over six years. I think what you mean is its falling apart now that the light died. Maybe you should turn the reds off if you have that ability. I also agree that you should start with a low intensity. Which model is it, do you know the wattage? You can probably find a par map or whatever its called for them.

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so you obviously know what your talking about lol ty sir ! So your saying there’s a shot ? I wanna switch over to sps but do you think these lights will look weird compared to kesslers ? Like what’s the water gonna look like ? Stupid ?
It will look really weird but will keep things alive, your coral will also likely change colour and may get more drab (different zooxanthellae species concentrations increasing or lowering). Algae are more fond of red light like people have stated but will not magically appear without nutrients just because there's more red in a new light source. You can 100% keep your coral alive with that light until you get a new light but it will not look good and your coral will take awhile to colour back up when you get a new light. And no problem at all! I hope everything works out for you if its going to be awhile before you get a reef led I would suggest adding an actinic fluorescent strip or actinic led strip to make tank viewing more enjoyable.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with N.Sreefer, but I bet you run into algae problems sooner rather than later. Actually pretty interesting experiment, keep us posted!

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short answer is no. Plant lights generally have a more red/yellow spectrum, while reef lights are more blue. Where corals evolved to grow, generally only the blue spectrum of sunlight penetrates that deep, so they’ve evolved to require blue spectrum lighting. Now, some corals from shallower waters will do better with whiter light (white being all spectrums), but even at 10ft, the vast majority of the lighting that penetrates that deep is blue. Using plant lights on your reef will encourage algae growth, but won’t do much for your corals (they might survive, but they won’t grow much and their color will likely brown out). I would leave the plant like for the ‘tomatoes’ and get a proper light for the reef (a reef spectrum viparspectra light is only like $100).
Actually at 10 meters down on a sunny day theres a ton of white light. Sandbed looks white not blue, coral grow in this light. Hell on the great barrier reef there's sps poking out the surface in places. The blue light look is not how the reefs look in the wild.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grew corals under a fuge light. It was red/blue/white diodes. Worked fine. Not the exact same light but ya. No noticeable algae difference between the fuge light and a powerful reef light.

You can always cover a bunch of the red ones to get the color to look nicer in the tank.

But hey I tend to run my tanks white and run 6500k bulbs sometimes. Idk why people think it has to look blue... thats a bunch of hooey.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back