Can I use any of the AI signature series pre-programmed light schedules on my Prime HD?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltiness,

I just picked up a used Prime HD (not the 16) and I'm excited to get it up and running. I came across the pre-programmed lighting schedules on AI's site and the one thing I noticed is that they feature the different schedules on their various models of lights. Can I use all of these with my Prime or do I choose the ones that feature Prime lights?

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow saltiness,

I just picked up a used Prime HD (not the 16) and I'm excited to get it up and running. I came across the pre-programmed lighting schedules on AI's site and the one thing I noticed is that they feature the different schedules on their various models of lights. Can I use all of these with my Prime or do I choose the ones that feature Prime lights?
you can use them all

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some that are better i think for different lights but they all should work fine with your light. I use David Saxonby (Saxby)? I can't remember the spelling but I use that one and tweeked it a bit. But everytime I find a new one I add it to my list and check it out. Theyre quite fun to play with except when its like 2am and you test a light setting and it confuses your fish. When else are you bored enough to try new settings? Never in the day time. Lol goodluck.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some that are better i think for different lights but they all should work fine with your light. I use David Saxonby (Saxby)? I can't remember the spelling but I use that one and tweeked it a bit. But everytime I find a new one I add it to my list and check it out. Theyre quite fun to play with except when its like 2am and you test a light setting and it confuses your fish. When else are you bored enough to try new settings? Never in the day time. Lol goodluck.
Haha. Stupid me thought it would be good to swap my old light after lights out. Everything was going well putting up my new Prime and the fish didn't seem to notice me puttering around because I think they were sleeping then suddenly the light turns on full blast. I didn't know I had to reset it first so I think it turned on the existing saved settings or I hit demo mode. I don't know what happened but what I do know... My fish... Were... Not... Happy. LOL. Scared the crap out of me as well! I should only do these things during the day. Haha.

I downloaded the Saxby and a few others. I haven't checked any beyond those... Yet. Haha.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. Stupid me thought it would be good to swap my old light after lights out. Everything was going well putting up my new Prime and the fish didn't seem to notice me puttering around because I think they were sleeping then suddenly the light turns on full blast. I didn't know I had to reset it first so I think it turned on the existing saved settings or I hit demo mode. I don't know what happened but what I do know... My fish... Were... Not... Happy. LOL. Scared the crap out of me as well! I should only do these things during the day. Haha.

I downloaded the Saxby and a few others. I haven't checked any beyond those... Yet. Haha.
Ok glad I'm not the only one! Haha. I dont know what colors you like in your tank. I am a more blue person than white so Saxby is kinda perfect for my tank. I had to add an hour in the morning and at night I believe on to the ramp up and ramp down bc I dont get home till around 10pm most nights and want an hour at least to feed the fish before lights out. Its essentially on from 10am till 11pm ramping up and down. But yes if you play with it at night your fish will hate you. My clowns sleep right under the light near my overflow and they hate me when I mess with it at night.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok glad I'm not the only one! Haha. I dont know what colors you like in your tank. I am a more blue person than white so Saxby is kinda perfect for my tank. I had to add an hour in the morning and at night I believe on to the ramp up and ramp down bc I dont get home till around 10pm most nights and want an hour at least to feed the fish before lights out. Its essentially on from 10am till 11pm ramping up and down. But yes if you play with it at night your fish will hate you. My clowns sleep right under the light near my overflow and they hate me when I mess with it at night.
This will be my first real reef light. I had a cheap Chinese knockoff that did nothing for my corals so it's doubtful the LEDs were the correct spectrum but one of the pre-configured modes was quite blue. It was a combination of blue, royal blue and violet and I think that was the primary look of the Saxby setting. I keep reading 10% white is good so if Saxby doesn't have that I will add it. I want to try the storm and lunar settings as well although I'm quite certain most of my fish don't get close enough to the surface of the ocean to see the weather or the lunar cycles so they'll probably get annoyed at me for that as well. LOL

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my first real reef light. I had a cheap Chinese knockoff that did nothing for my corals so it's doubtful the LEDs were the correct spectrum but one of the pre-configured modes was quite blue. It was a combination of blue, royal blue and violet and I think that was the primary look of the Saxby setting. I keep reading 10% white is good so if Saxby doesn't have that I will add it. I want to try the storm and lunar settings as well although I'm quite certain most of my fish don't get close enough to the surface of the ocean to see the weather or the lunar cycles so they'll probably get annoyed at me for that as well. LOL
I think Saxby goes above 10% white. It may max at 44% at a certain part of the day but if that's too much you can cut it back down. The setting kinda goes up and down in intensity throughout the brightest part of the day. I like to think of it as clouds passing by or something. Theres another one called karen that I liked. It's a much simpler setting. Kinda just ramp up ramp down.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Saxby goes above 10% white. It may max at 44% at a certain part of the day but if that's too much you can cut it back down. The setting kinda goes up and down in intensity throughout the brightest part of the day. I like to think of it as clouds passing by or something. Theres another one called karen that I liked. It's a much simpler setting. Kinda just ramp up ramp down.
I downloaded the "Karen" schedule along with a third one but that was more because they showed them using the Primes with their schedules so I thought I would save them in case the Saxby wouldn't work with the Prime. :) Super excited but at the same time super annoyed that I wasted $85 on the knockoff light. The only good thing that came from the knockoff was the rigid mount. The person I bought the light from wasn't selling the mount with it but thankfully I was able to use the rigid mount that came with the knockoff light on the Prime. I just had to buy the AI hanging kit because my knockoff light attached to the mount differently. The hanging kit fixed that. :)

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I downloaded the "Karen" schedule along with a third one but that was more because they showed them using the Primes with their schedules so I thought I would save them in case the Saxby wouldn't work with the Prime. :) Super excited but at the same time super annoyed that I wasted $85 on the knockoff light. The only good thing that came from the knockoff was the rigid mount. The person I bought the light from wasn't selling the mount with it but thankfully I was able to use the rigid mount that came with the knockoff light on the Prime. I just had to buy the AI hanging kit because my knockoff light attached to the mount differently. The hanging kit fixed that. :)
You'll love it. Sounds like you already do.you can put the Chinese box light on a quarantine or something now.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll love it. Sounds like you already do.you can put the Chinese box light on a quarantine or something now.
Exactly! Or a fish only tank. It was fine when I just had fish in the tank but corals was a different story. :)

Back