Can I use cured dead coral skeleton as live rock in DT?

IsaiahS609

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to know the cons of using large pieces of coral skeleton in the display tank. I have a whole bunch of LPS and softies. I've read that its impossible to get algae off but I have a foxface and snails in there that pick at everything. I also dose vibrant whenever I need to.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, reefing since ‘89 before live rock availability, we had and still have tons of beautiful real coral, coraline algae and proximity to added live rock make it live over time and host to good filtration.

OP
OP
I

IsaiahS609

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. There is very limited posts about this so I wanted to make sure before I put it in.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I am wrong, but a lot of SPS is considered to be structure and foundation building for reefs in the wild. Meaning that much of what the reefs are built on it old dead SPS coral skeletons. A lot of the branching liverock and Pukani if you look at it you can tell it's basically fossilized coral skeletons. So I do not see why you couldn't. As long it was capable of handling the weight of whatever you want to put on it.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to know the cons of using large pieces of coral skeleton in the display tank. I have a whole bunch of LPS and softies. I've read that its impossible to get algae off but I have a foxface and snails in there that pick at everything. I also dose vibrant whenever I need to.
When you say cured are you pulling from established tank?

OP
OP
I

IsaiahS609

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say cured are you pulling from established tank?
I have an established reef already but I am tired of how the aquascape looks. Im taking the opportunity of moving at the end of the month to put in new rock and take out the old (not all of the old rock. I am keeping a third of the old rock in and I have a whole bunch of marine pure balls, smaller cycled rock and other biomedia in one of my AIO chambers). I've had pukani rock and large thick coral skeleton cycling in a bucket for a few weeks now with Dr. Tims one and only. Yesterday I read a few posts about people only using it in FOWLR tanks and never in reefs because its hard to glue frags and get algae off of them so that's why I am asking for more opinions.

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an established reef already but I am tired of how the aquascape looks. Im taking the opportunity of moving at the end of the month to put in new rock and take out the old. I've had pukani rock and large thick coral skeleton cycling in a bucket for a few weeks now with Dr. Tims one and only. Yesterday I read a few posts about people only using it in FOWLR tanks and never in reefs because its hard to glue frags and get algae off of them so that's why I am asking for more opinions.
Right on yeah I was going to suggest cleaning and cycling with beneficial bacteria but your on top of that.
I'll be honest I just took out a bunch of crushed coral due to the nuisance algae bloom but I didnt pre cycle it first. It's now in the sump with a bunch of live rock for awhile.
Just prepare for algae bloom. I've got a ton of CUC with sea hare and still have to help out with removal.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back