Can I use eggcrate under my aquascape?

Dabbin_with_reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll be upgrading my tank soon so I'll be doing a new aquascape.
My question is, can I put my aquascape on top of eggcrate. I usually put the rocks on the glass and than add sand in case sand sifters burrow under than it won't topple the rockwork. I think I've seen people use eggcrate before but never knew the benefits besides distributing the weight better. (Which I do like that idea) are there any other benefits of doing this?

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is, can I put my aquascape on top of eggcrate. I usually put the rocks on the glass and than add sand in case sand sifters burrow under than it won't topple the rockwork. I think I've seen people use eggcrate before but never knew the benefits besides distributing the weight better. (Which I do like that idea) are there any other benefits of doing this?

It is fine to use. I have seen a few use it. Some even cut small pieces to fit only under specific rock sizes.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have they used it only to distribute the weight or for another reason

I can only speculate they did it to add stability or to protect the glass. I am using Starboard for my build, bare bottom, and if I do not get the stability needed for my rock I may cut up some small pieces of egg crate for this purpose.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to always put down eggcrate as a buffer between rock and glass, as well as help maintain stability, never an issue.

Now days I make acrylic pillar stands, w/ a flat acrylic base, so need.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used eggcrate under the rock, cut to fit each section. I wouldn't recommend it though. It looks fine when you first set it up, but as soon as the sand starts to move around, it almost always becomes exposed. Also, every time I try to stir the sand I am constantly hitting it. Drives me crazy lol.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on type of sand, how much sand, how much flow and how you have flow diverted.
I've not had that happen really, but I do a dsb.
Sometimes you may need to bounce powerheads off glass panels to distribute flow in a wider pattern to avoid welling.

I also use caribsea seaflor special grade, it tends to not blow around

Dave Shenko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've always used it. This is my latest build Reefer 750xxl.

15297133147211127570357.jpg

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve have eggcrate in my tank. When I installed it why back when I read it was to support the so it would fall over. I do have sand in the tank. As well have sand sifters too. Works well

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't see the point. If you put your rocks directly on the glass, nothing is going to fall down and impact the glass (or the likelihood is ridiculously minimized) if sand is removed from under the rocks. It's also likely that any toppling or falling rock is going to land on sand.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if the rock sits directly on the glass, the mining won’t matter. I guess I just feel that unless you have hundred of pounds of rock sitting in a single point in the glass, it probably won’t matter. Glass is pretty tough stuff when supported correctly

FLSharkvictim

Shark Advocate
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No... take out the egg-crate unless you have hundreds of pounds of live rock like @markstubb mentioned above! It serves absolutely no purpose unless your trying to aquascape your tank with no live sand in it.

PhreeByrd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that eggcrate is doing is creating multiple little pockets of inaccessible, anoxic substrate. If that's the goal, then have at it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back