Can i use fluorescent lights to grow montis and softies?

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beginner level softies just 3 of em, and a few montis, this light came with the tank and stand included from top fin, also whats the difference between leds and fluorescent lights? Arent they the same thing? these are bright white lights definitely not full spectrum

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except for the fact that they both produce light, they are very different.
You’ll need to replace the fluorescent bulbs with the proper spectrum bulbs, other people will have suggestions.
But yes T5 bulbs have been a mainstay for reef tanks for a long time.

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can grow corals under the correct types of flourescent lights, but it definitely has to be the correct bulbs. Most reef tank specific flourescent bulbs are T5 sized, which is why you see people reference T5 lights all the time.

Typically the stock lights on a Top Fin tank are only sufficient for letting you see what is in the tank. Some low-light soft corals may survive at best, but those lights pretty much cannot support any photosynthetic corals. The bulbs are the wrong color spectrum, and it will not have sufficient power output even if you swap the bulb.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back