Can I use fritz copper safe for ich in main display?

chad8282

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a QT tank and I’m having an ich outbreak in my tank. Rally pro seems to get them off the fish but later on they latch back on I am familiar with the ich process and I’m asking to see if I can use copper directly in tank. Only have 3 small mushroom corals so I could take them out

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don’t have a QT tank and I’m having an ich outbreak in my tank. Rally pro seems to get them off the fish but later on they latch back on I am familiar with the ich process and I’m asking to see if I can use copper directly in tank. Only have 3 small mushroom corals so I could take them out
I guess it depends on what else is in the tank. I.e. - if you have only a few small fish - I would remove them and treat them and leave the corals and any other inverts (that you might not know about) in the tank. For a couple reasons:

1. If you have rock, etc - copper can be adsorbed onto the rock - and be less effective.
2. Once the copper is on the rock - it may leach out over time - hurting any other coral you might put in.
3. Its much more difficult to treat with copper when there are other things in the tank - due to fluctuating levels, etc.

After removing the fish, you would then need to leave the tank fallow for 76 days or so (depending on who you read).

I know you said you don't have a QT tank - but if you're going to remove the Zoas, you have to set up a second tank anyway? Either way - treating in a main display is not recommended. Hope this helps

OP
OP
C

chad8282

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on what else is in the tank. I.e. - if you have only a few small fish - I would remove them and treat them and leave the corals and any other inverts (that you might not know about) in the tank. For a couple reasons:

1. If you have rock, etc - copper can be adsorbed onto the rock - and be less effective.
2. Once the copper is on the rock - it may leach out over time - hurting any other coral you might put in.
3. Its much more difficult to treat with copper when there are other things in the tank - due to fluctuating levels, etc.

After removing the fish, you would then need to leave the tank fallow for 76 days or so (depending on who you read).

I know you said you don't have a QT tank - but if you're going to remove the Zoas, you have to set up a second tank anyway? Either way - treating in a main display is not recommended. Hope this helps
Helps greatly so what about main display will the ich starve off if I just treat the qt tank? I have a sailfin tang, coral beauty, a wrasse, 2 small clowns, and a group of 5 of lemon drop damsels, and a Midas blenny. All have to come out? And my two mushrooms I can just take out. My live rock is very basic I have 6 large rocks that can be easily removed. If I where to take just the rocks and coral out could I use the main tank as a qt? Space and budget limited I wouldn’t want to put all my fish in a small qt tank

OP
OP
C

chad8282

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have all these fish in a 40 gallon tank??
Yes but the group of damsels are just here for a week they are going to my friend as soon as he gets home from school his tank has been cycled and he has much larger tanks me and him swap fish frequently. For example I raised a Tomini tang for a few months then surrender it to my friend for his 120 gal. All fish in my 40 breeder are young and small and they all do just fine

OP
OP
C

chad8282

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green water is rally pro. Sailfin tang was a petco save he was in a tiny tank and he had been there forever I decided to take him and raise him like I explained. When I introduced him to the tank he instantly started picking algae off the rocks like crazy and is showing great health traits

image.jpg

OP
OP
C

chad8282

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of grassing on rocks for him

Attachments

• 63933255551__41E80FCD-9DE5-48D2-B5A1-7AFDD408EF43.MOV
    1 MB

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper kills everything, except hopefully the fish.
Your sand and rock and it’s bacteria will also be killed so your back to the start.
Anything, outside of the 3 standard tried and true documented methods for ick......best of luck.

OP
OP
C

chad8282

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your sand and rock and it’s bacteria will also be killed so your back to the start.
Anything, outside of the 3 standard tried and true documented methods for ick......best of luck.
Thanks good input

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but the group of damsels are just here for a week they are going to my friend as soon as he gets home from school his tank has been cycled and he has much larger tanks me and him swap fish frequently. For example I raised a Tomini tang for a few months then surrender it to my friend for his 120 gal. All fish in my 40 breeder are young and small and they all do just fine
You will want to let your friend know the damsels need to be treated and quarantined. Stress from overcrowding can be a contributing factor for ich and other diseases, just for future reference.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably keeps coming back due to too many fish in a small tank. Difficult to have ich management in a tank like this. Your rock structure isn't great for fish either. Not much for hiding spots or swim throughs. My sailfin grew very quickly.

I would only consider copper in the DT if you buy a hannah copper kit and realize you may not be able to keep inverts for awhile/ever. Also that the copper may kill worms or other things within the rock and cause an ammonia issue.

Even though I own copper power and a hanna copper kit. I have never once used them. I prefer not to expose fish to harsh medications and did hybrid TTM on them instead. It is more difficult to do with a large batch of fish. I now just do it on 1-2 new fish at a time which is very easy.

jsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, it doesn't. Not at therapeutic levels. I have copper at 2.5ppm in my main display right now. All my pods are alive. 4 shrimp i couldn't catch, still alive 3 weeks later. All the beneficial bacteria are kickin.

jsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running copper power, my skimmer, my carbon reactor, and my refugium for filtration right now. Everything is doing great. Have 5 tangs, a trigger, and 6 other small fish plug snails and shrimp.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back