Can I use human sink RODI water systems for aquariums?

kingkapoor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6967.jpg

So we have this RODI system in our house under our sink for drinking water.
I have to do water topoffs and all the panickers have bought out the distilled water I usually use.

This RODI is a 5 stage filteration but I believe it puts something back into the water to raise the PH.

Is it still safe to use?

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll get people going both ways on this. Better to put out $100 on a good used or even new for a couple $ more Ro/di system meant for the task. Better safe than sorry especially if you have some coin invested in your tank.

shadesatsetbreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe. If you have five gallon jugs, they have standalone RO systems near some grocery stores that put out a consistent 25ppm. Would probably be better, at least. Otherwise some people use tap water and still do ok. Only way to know for sure is to TDS your water coming out of the system.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your system is likely an RO system and not an RODI. Drinking deionized water isn’t healthy. There will still be some TDS in RO water. It’s not ideal but given the current situation it would be better than tap. I’d still use some kind of conditioner on it unless you are really certain all the chlorine is out of it.

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously don't get why people say drinking RODI is unhealthy... Out of my membrane, the water reads 1 or 2 ppm.
Out the DI, of course it's 0. Does 1 or 2 ppm tds really make all the difference between potable and non potable?

Osler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So most multi-stage RO is sediment filter > carbon filter > reverse osmosis membrane with rejection of remaining dissolved solids. This is great for human consumption and pretty darn good (over most tap water) for most reef keepers. Deionization is an additional step that makes the water less human compatible and more reef compatible. Regardless of if you have RO alone or RO/DI, consider the gallons per day. If you can’t make 5 gallons in an hour on your system, you may need another system or a dedicated system for your tank.

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deionization is an additional step that makes the water less human compatible and more reef compatible.

But... Why? Most of the answers returned via googlology just states cos the DI is not certified fit for human consumption.
But ... why? I'm not sure if I am being overly critical in my thinking, but just because it's not certified doesn't mean it can't be done right? Medical grade peristaltic pumps are not certified reef safe, but they are a hell lot more accurate than the hobby grade pumps we are using, no?

Basically, what is it about more reef safe makes RODI water less human safe?

*stumped*

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But... Why? Most of the answers returned via googlology just states cos the DI is not certified fit for human consumption.
But ... why? I'm not sure if I am being overly critical in my thinking, but just because it's not certified doesn't mean it can't be done right? Medical grade peristaltic pumps are not certified reef safe, but they are a hell lot more accurate than the hobby grade pumps we are using, no?

Basically, what is it about more reef safe makes RODI water less human safe?

*stumped*
In short, the deionized state of water makes it attract ions to itself. This makes it great for mixing salt as it literally attracts the salt to itself mixing it better.

Here is a quote from an article:

Risk of Using the Deionized Water
Deionized water can be harmful to your health. While there are serious concerns about how the deionized water can affect one’s health, it is best to use it for industrial purposes only.

Here are some of the risks that you should take note:

Absorb Ions in the Body

First, it lacks ions, and when you drink it, it can absorb the ions in your body. It can steal the minerals in your tissues such as magnesium and calcium, which are both easy for deionized water to absorb.

Although water is not an important source of magnesium and calcium, however, it can help contribute to the daily needs of people. As such, drinking deionized water can limit your intake of essential nutrients.

Take note that magnesium and calcium are important for the development of the bones and it is also good for the heart.

Here is the source for the quote:

Osler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DI water isn’t going to kill you if you drink it. It just doesn’t carry with it other things your body needs like calcium, potassium, sodium, etc. why is Gatorade so great for sports? It has water plus electrolytes. Good stuff. Brawndo...it’s what plants crave!

Look up World Health Organization Oral Rehydration Solution. This was developed to combat Cholera. Take your RO/ DI and add the recommended salt and sugar content and it will be more compatible with your body’s chemistry. That is the issue. I store RO/DI for my tank and in case of emergency for my family. I wouldn’t drink it daily because of the deficiency in critical electrolytes. Good for hydration in a pinch but not long term.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6967.jpg

I have to do water topoffs and all the panickers have bought out the distilled water I usually use.

This RODI is a 5 stage filteration but I believe it puts something back into the water to raise the PH.

Is it still safe to use?
RO water for your Tank is perfectly fine.
That is if you keep your filters and RO membrane maintanted.
Check your TDS output of your Sink Tap. If it's around 5-10 it can be used for your tank (I did for years). Never knew about the DI stage at the time.

Few years ago, I added a DI cartridge to my House RO system. It runs off the House Drinking water, but we don't drink The After DI Stage water.
One of these https://www.maxwaterflow.com/DI-Pro-Expansion-RO-System-not-included_p_1197.html
Mine is just a single stage DI Expander.

So if you want that lower TDS=0, you can just add the DI Cartridge (T conenctor off your Tank), to a collector reservoir.
Add a SHUT off valve at the end.

When you want to do a water change, you run the House RO water thru the DI filter (slow flow) and fill up your resevoir.

THE ONLY CONCERN I would have is what is the Stage that Raises PH?
Nothing wrong with Higher PH, but what is in the Stage that does it. Possibly also raises Alkalinity.
Possibly one of these https://www.maxwaterflow.com/Quick-...ralization-Filter-Non-refillable-_p_1320.html

So T-Off before that stage, to just get Post RO membrane water.
You may want to add a check Valve from your Drinking RO system, to the Tank under your sink.
THat way your Drinking Water Tank does NOT reverse flow (due to tank pressure) to your DI water maker setup. That's what I do, so family alway has a full tank of Drinking/Cooking water. But when I make RODI water I do it slowly.

Last edited:

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In short, the deionized state of water makes it attract ions to itself. This makes it great for mixing salt as it literally attracts the salt to itself mixing it better.

Here is a quote from an article:

Risk of Using the Deionized Water
Deionized water can be harmful to your health. While there are serious concerns about how the deionized water can affect one’s health, it is best to use it for industrial purposes only.

Here are some of the risks that you should take note:

Absorb Ions in the Body

First, it lacks ions, and when you drink it, it can absorb the ions in your body. It can steal the minerals in your tissues such as magnesium and calcium, which are both easy for deionized water to absorb.

Although water is not an important source of magnesium and calcium, however, it can help contribute to the daily needs of people. As such, drinking deionized water can limit your intake of essential nutrients.

Take note that magnesium and calcium are important for the development of the bones and it is also good for the heart.

Here is the source for the quote:
Thanks for posting the article! That was really interesting.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it still safe to use?
It depends on what the Ph filter has in it.
What brand of system do you have or what is the p/n of the ph filter?
Some have weird stuff in them

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an rodi that makes ro for drinking and di for the tank, that I am almost finished installing. The additional drinking cartridge on mine is to reduce any plastic taste from the drinking pressure tank. If you split it right after the membrane, that's ro and you can direct it a di canister for fish, and ro for drinking.
20200405_121733.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on what the Ph filter has in it.
What brand of system do you have or what is the p/n of the ph filter?
Some have weird stuff in them

Agreed.

The OP needs to know what is raising the pH to know if the water is suitable for a reef.

It is probably just some type of calcium carbonate, which would likely be OK if pure enough, but might end up raising the alk too much if the alk demand in the tank is VERY low to begin with.

RO/DI water saturated with calcium carbonate will have an alk of 1-1.5 dKH and calcium of 5-10 ppm calcium (more if there is any CO2 in the water geting to the calcium carbonate).

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer to the OP's question is YES, you can use a "human" RO unit to make water for your aquarium if you add a couple parts.

you will need a three way valve, some tubing, and a DI canister filled with mix bed DI resin. You will install the valve after the membrane (before the tank). The line from the valve will be attached to the DI canister. When you want to make aquarium water, you'll flip the valve to run the water through the resin and collect that water. When done, flip it back to the human setting.

now as far as human RO water, what makes it drinkable is that Every time your "on demand" RO unit turns on, you get breakthrough TDS. That added TDS gives the water a pleasing taste. Now this breakthrough TDS is also the reason you don't want to hook up your DI directly to this tank water. It would cause you to eat through your resin in no time.

Hope my explanation was clear.

oceans garden aquaculture

Oceans garden aquaculture
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6967.jpg

Is it still safe to use?
[/QUOTE
Saw these on sale at saltwaterfish.com
IMG_20200406_092309_839.jpg

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am betting that the added filter for human drinking is NOT for raising ph, but a re-mineralization cartridge. This is pretty common with certain brands of DRINKING Ro units.

Miller535

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as drinking DI water, everything I have seen says it is bad. Which is why many people who choose to drink their water from their unit T off the line before the DI stage. That way they can drink water that is filtered but not with DI.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 72 42.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%

Back