Can I use IceCap Gyre Parts on a maxspect gyre pump?

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently in need of a replacement impellor shaft for my Gyre xf250 and was wondering if any of the Ice Cap impellors might work as I have heard they are nearly identical pumps. They are also much cheaper to buy.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am currently in need of a replacement impellor shaft for my Gyre xf250 and was wondering if any of the Ice Cap impellors might work as I have heard they are nearly identical pumps. They are also much cheaper to buy.
Curious - how will you remove the old impeller. Second from the couple places I looked, Icecap licensed some of the tech from Maxspect - but that the 'guts' are generally not interchangeable

OP
OP
D

dublinreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious - how will you remove the old impeller. Second from the couple places I looked, Icecap licensed some of the tech from Maxspect - but that the 'guts' are generally not interchangeable
Hi MnFish1, thanks for the reply. I have done some research and saw some videos about maintaining your gyre pumps and it is recommended to fully dissassemble the pumps for cleaning. This is an almost impossible task as I have discovered that the impeller is very difficult to remove and I broke it in the process. Hence why I need a new impeller. I have since been advised that the ice cap impellers are not compatible with gyre pumps. Was just curious because the Icecap impellers are cheaper.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi MnFish1, thanks for the reply. I have done some research and saw some videos about maintaining your gyre pumps and it is recommended to fully dissassemble the pumps for cleaning. This is an almost impossible task as I have discovered that the impeller is very difficult to remove and I broke it in the process. Hence why I need a new impeller. I have since been advised that the ice cap impellers are not compatible with gyre pumps. Was just curious because the Icecap impellers are cheaper.
You can check with Maxs\petct - but I have never heard anyone recommend taking the impeller apart (if its the piece you're talking about - to me that is the piece that is permanently attached to the magnet)

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the maxspect gyre impellers ARE removeable. You need some needle nose pliers, but one side you can twist it off. You're pulling the piece out that the impeller goes through that looks like a trivial pursuit wheel. I've done it a few times, , but you can break the impeller if you put it back wrong or it's seated poorly. I can never tell if the impeller broke because I took it apart or it broke on it's own accord and I only noticed it later; but it's probably a little of each. Doesn't take much to snap that ceramic shaft. I have broken 2 impellers on my xf-150, and think it's about time to replace it with an xf-350. Sadly I have 3x xf-250 which aren't compatible...

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back